Cal/OSHA Branches & Units
- Amusement Ride and Tramway
- Asbestos and Carcinogen
- Heat and Agriculture Program
- High Hazard
- Labor Enforcement Task Force
- Mining and Tunneling
- Pressure Vessel
- Process Safety Management
- Research and Standards
Pressure Vessel Unit
The pressure vessel unit is responsible under Labor Code sections 7620 et seq. for the inspection of boilers (any fired or unfired pressure vessel used to generate steam pressure by the application of heat), and tanks (any fired or unfired pressure vessel used for the storage of air pressure or liquefied petroleum gases).
The address for pressure vessel permit payments is changing.
Effective April 1, 2015, please send all payments to:
Department of Industrial Relations
DOSH – Pressure Vessel Permits
P.O. Box 511266
Los Angeles, CA 90051-7821
Contact the Pressure Vessel Invoice Inquiry Team at PVPayInquiry@dir.ca.gov for any questions.
Pressure Vessel Unit Office Locations
Northern Office *Oakland Pressure Vessel District Office
1515 Clay Street Suite 1622-A
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 622-3066
FAX: (510) 622-3063
Manager: Leonard Tong, Senior Safety Engineer
* Counties north of San Luis Obispo, Kern and San Bernardino counties.
Southern Office **Santa Ana Pressure Vessel District Office
2000 E. McFadden Ave Suite 215
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Phone: (714) 567-7208
FAX: (714) 567-7297
Manager: Gary Teel, Senior Safety Engineer
** Counties of San Luis Obispo, Kern, San Bernardino and south.
Pressure Vessel Headquarters Office
Manager: Don Cook, Principal Engineer
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1622-A
Oakland, CA 94612
FAX (510) 622-3063
Apply for a "Permit to Operate"
To apply for a "Permit to Operate" for an air tank, liquefied petroleum tank or a boiler:
- Click on the link Pressure Vessel Inspection Request Form ;
- Fill it out and mail (or fax) a printed copy to the appropriate office listed above;
Email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pressure Vessel Invoice Payment OptionsPayment By Credit Card
The following "no service fee" Payment options are also available:Payment By Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
Payment Status Inquiries
BEFORE YOU CONTACT US:
To expedite our response to your payment status inquiry, please have the following information ready when contacting us.
Contact Information for Payment Status Inquiries:
Click on the heading to access the searchable and printable pressure vessel database showing the current permit and inspection activities for all steam boilers, air tanks, and LPG tanks in the State of California.
Below are the frequently requested Circular Letters:
- Circular Letter PV-2015-1 Steam Boiler ASME Code Requirements
- Circular Letter PV-2007-2 Underground and Mounded Liquid Propane Gas Installations
- Circular Letter PV-2007-1 LP-Gas Systems in California
- Circular Letter PV-2006-4 Standard for Acceptance of Non-Code Boilers & Pressure Vessels
- Circular Letter PV-2006-3 Repair Organizations Obtaining Jurisdictional Acceptance
- Circular Letter PV-2006-2 Repairs & Alteration to Boilers and Pressure Vessels
- Circular Letter PV-2006-1 Boiler Internal Inspection Interval Extensions
- Circular Letter PV-2005-1 Boiler Attendance
- Circular Letter PV-2004-1 Heat Exchangers, ASME Part UHX
- Circular Letter PV-2001-1 Alterations that De-rate or Re-rate any ASME Pressure Vessel
Where can I request a W-9 form?
Please email your request to DIRW9Inquiry@dir.ca.gov and specify which collection unit and/or type of fee you will be paying.