Pressure Vessel Unit
The pressure vessel unit is responsible under Labor Code sections 7620-7771 for the inspection of boilers (any fired or unfired pressure vessel used to generate steam pressure by the application of heat), and tanks (any fired or unfired pressure vessel used for the storage of air pressure or liquefied petroleum gases).
Permits are required for air tanks, LPG propane storage tanks over 125 gallons, and high pressure boilers over 15 psig steam. Permit exceptions depend on vessel capacity and operating pressures. Permit inspections may be performed by a Pressure Vessel Unit inspector or an inspector employed by an qualified insurance company. Schedule an inspection with the nearest pressure vessel office or contact your insurer to see if they provide this inspection service. The complete regulations are contained in Title 8 regulations, sections 450-560 and sections 750-797.
- Pressure Vessel Inspection Request Form
- Copies of Valid Permits to Operate
- Invoice Payment Options
- Circular Letters
- Training Materials
Pressure Vessel Unit Office Locations
Northern Office *Oakland Pressure Vessel District Office
1515 Clay Street Suite 1622-A
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 622-3066
FAX: (510) 622-3063
Manager: Leonard Tong, Senior Safety Engineer
* Counties north of San Luis Obispo, Kern and San Bernardino counties.
Southern Office **Santa Ana Pressure Vessel District Office
2 MacArthur Place, Suite 700
Santa Ana, CA 92707
Phone: (714) 567-7208
FAX: (714) 567-7297
Manager: Gary Teel, Senior Safety Engineer
** Counties of San Luis Obispo, Kern, San Bernardino and south.
Pressure Vessel Headquarters Office
Manager: Don Cook, Principal Engineer
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1622-A
Oakland, CA 94612
FAX (510) 622-3063
Apply for a "Permit to Operate"
To apply for a "Permit to Operate" for an air tank, liquefied petroleum tank or a boiler:
- Open the Pressure Vessel Inspection Request Form ;
- Fill out the form and mail (or fax) a printed copy to the appropriate office listed above;
Email a scanned copy to email@example.com.
Copies of Valid Permits to Operate
Copies of valid “Permits to Operate” for air tanks, liquefied petroleum tanks or boilers are available from the Pressure Vessel Unit Headquarters Office for a replacement fee of $15.00. To request permit copies:
- Open the Request Form for Copies of Valid Permits to Operate
- Fill out the form and email a scanned copy to CAPVPermits@dir.ca.gov , or mail (or fax) a printed copy to the Pressure Vessel Unit Headquarters Office.
Pressure Vessel Invoice Payment Options Frequently asked questionsPayment By Credit Card
The following "no service fee" Payment options are also available:Payment By Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
Payment Status Inquiries
BEFORE YOU CONTACT US:
To expedite our response to your payment status inquiry, please have the following information ready when contacting us.
Contact Information for Payment Status Inquiries
Click on the heading to access the searchable and printable pressure vessel database showing the current permit and inspection activities for all steam boilers, air tanks, and LPG tanks in the State of California.
Below are the frequently requested Circular Letters:
- Circular Letter PV-2017-2 New State Serial Number Format
- Circular Letter PV-2017-1 Air Tank Thickness Acceptance
- Circular Letter PV-2015-1 Steam Boiler ASME Code Requirements
- Circular Letter PV-2013-1 Oilfield Boiler Safety Valves
- Circular Letter PV-2010-1 Solar Boilers
- Circular Letter PV-2007-2 Underground and Mounded Liquid Propane Gas Installations
- Circular Letter PV-2007-1 LP-Gas Systems in California
- Circular Letter PV-2006-4 Standard for Acceptance of Non-Code Boilers & Pressure Vessels
- Circular Letter PV-2006-3 Repair Organizations Obtaining Jurisdictional Acceptance
- Circular Letter PV-2006-2 Repairs & Alteration to Boilers and Pressure Vessels
- Circular Letter PV-2006-1 Boiler Internal Inspection Interval Extensions
- Circular Letter PV-2005-1 Boiler Attendance
- Circular Letter PV-2004-1 Heat Exchangers, ASME Part UHX
- Circular Letter PV-2001-1 Alterations that De-rate or Re-rate any ASME Pressure Vessel
2018 PowerPoint Presentations
- National Board Changes to RCI-1 2019
- Inspection of Riveted Boilers
- Medina Steam Tractor Explosion
- Two Boilers and a Water Heater
- Day in the Life of a State Inspector
- LPG Safety Relief Valves
- 2018 State of the State
2017 PowerPoint Presentations
- Updates to the Petroleum Safety Orders and PSM Regulations
- Introduction to the NBIC New Part 4
- Pressure Relief Device Inspection NBIC Part 2
- LPG and CO2 Extraction Equipment
- A Century as a Jurisdiction
- Petroleum Refining Piping CML Placement and Testing
- PSM Damage Mechanism Requirements 101
- API 579 Fitness for Service Overview
- State Number Changes and Fee Adjustment
2016 PowerPoint Presentations
- B&W FM D Style Boiler
- B&W Overview
- B&W Pabco Boiler
- Cal/OSHA Consultation Program
- Clayton Boiler Presentation
- Cleaver Brooks Boiler Presentation
- Muira Boiler Presentation
- National Board 2017 Changes to RCI-1
- National Board Condensing Boiler Presentation
- Nationwide Boiler Presentation
- Parker Boiler Presentation
Where can I request a W-9 form?
Please email your request to DIRW9Inquiry@dir.ca.gov and specify which collection unit and/or type of fee you will be paying.