Cal/OSHA Branches & Units
- Amusement Ride and Tramway
- Asbestos and Carcinogen
- Heat and Agriculture Program
- High Hazard
- Labor Enforcement Task Force
- Legal and BOI
- Mining and Tunneling
- Pressure Vessel
- Process Safety Management
- Research and Standards
- Other Units
Heat Illness Prevention
California employers are
required to take these
four steps to prevent
Train all employees and
supervisors about heat
Provide enough fresh water so that each employee can drink at least 1 quart per hour, or four 8 ounce glasses, of water per hour, and encourage them to do so.
Provide access to shade and encourage employees to take a cool-down rest in the shade for at least 5 minutes. They should not wait until they feel sick to cool down.
Develop and implement written procedures for complying with the Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Standard.
Heat Illness Prevention Training
|Class Description||City||Date and Time||Location||Class Registration|
|Heat Illness Prevention Network Telephone Conference Call||N/A||August 4
1:00 pm - English
This is a telephone conference. Register on the web at HIP Network Call.
Once you’ve registered, a confirmation page will display dial-in numbers and a unique PIN. Participants will also receive an email confirmation of this information.
Email your questions / comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Education, Training Resources and Publications
- Webinar on Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention requirements
- Video tour of Cal/OSHA’s updated Heat Illness Prevention materials
- Heat Illness Prevention Training Materials 2015
- Cal/OSHA guidance on the new requirements
- Heat Illness Prevention enforcement Q&A 2015
- Cal/OSHA Consultation Services Heat Illness Prevention etool
- Employer Sample Procedures for Heat Illness Prevention
- Health effects of Heat posters:
- Pocket Guide: Protect Yourself from Heat Illness - English & Español
- File a health & safety complaint - English
- More information & resources ...
More CAL/OSHA Resources:
- Heat Illness Prevention for Indoor Working Environments - English & Español
99 Calor campaign page: contains materials available for download including Heat Illness Prevention videos and discussion guides in multiple languages.
- Videos and guides available in English, Spanish, Punjabi, Hmong and Mixteco
Outreach and Education Campaign
- 99 Calor Heat Illness Prevention Campaign
- Final Performance and Evaluation Report on the Heat Illness Prevention Campaign - 2012
- Final Performance and Evaluation Report on the Heat Illness Prevention Campaign - 2010
Heat Illness Regulation
Read the Heat Illness Standard from the California Code of Regulations, Title 8:
Additional Heat Illness Links
- FedOSHA Quick Card: Protecting Workers from Heat Stress
- National Weather Service: California Information
- Centers for Disease Control: Heat Stress
- Centers for Disease Control: Tips for preventing heat-related illness