Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit

Cal/OSHA enforces:

If you wish to file a complaint with Cal/OSHA about hazardous exposure to asbestos fibers or non-asbestiform fibers in your workplace, follow the instructions for filing a complaint with the Cal/OSHA Enforcement district office that serves your job location.

Registration with Cal/OSHA is required for contractors and employers that remove asbestos having an asbestos fiber content of more than 0.1% and 100 square feet or more of surface area of asbestos-containing material.5

» Learn more.

Certification is required for consultants and technicians conducting asbestos sampling or planning and overseeing asbestos removal projects of 100 square feet or more of surface area of asbestos-containing construction materials.5 See also applicable California Title 8 regulations, Section 1529(q) and Section 341.15.

» Learn more.

Cal/OSHA has a program for approving Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) asbestos training courses.5

» Learn more.

Required Notifications by Employers Regarding Carcinogens

Employers are required to notify Cal/OSHA in the following situations:6

The use of a carcinogen must be reported to the Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit.

  • Carcinogen Reporting in accordance with Title 8 Section 5203 
    English | Spanish
  • Employer Respirable Crystalline Silica (RCS) Reporting 
    English | Spanish

Incidents involving the release of a carcinogen must be reported to:

Contact the Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit

Cal/OSHA Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit
1750 Howe Avenue, Suite 460
Sacramento, CA 95825

Phone:(916) 574-2993

More information about asbestos ...

18 CCR section 1529

28 CCR section 8358

38 CCR section 5208

48 CCR section 5208.1

5Labor Code sections 6501.5-6510 and 9020-9022

6Labor Code sections 9030-9032 and 8 CCR section 5203

May 2023