Permits, Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations

Get information about permits, licenses, certifications, and registrations issued by the Department of Industrial Relations. For notifications, visit the Required Notifications page.

Type of Work or Business Administered by
Aerial passenger tramways
Permit to operate an aerial passenger tramway.
Amusement rides, permanent
Approval to operate a permanent amusement ride. Certification as a qualified safety inspector (QSI) to inspect permanent amusement rides. Approval to train QSIs.
Amusement rides, temporary (portable)
Permit to operate a temporary amusement ride.
Approval to provide asbestos training. Certification as an asbestos consultant. Certification as an asbestos site surveillance technician. Registration to do asbestos-related work.
License as a blaster to use an explosive.
Building maintenance equipment
Certification as qualified to inspect and test building surface maintenance equipment.
Car washing and polishing
Registration of employer engaged in car washing and polishing.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Child performer services permit
Permit for person representing, or seeking to represent performers under 18 (minors).
Labor Commissioner's Office
Construction activities
Permit to perform certain construction and demolition activities outside mining and tunneling.
License to inspect and certify cranes and derricks. Permit to erect a tower crane. Permit to operate a tower crane.
Door-to-door sales
Registration of employer, transporter, or supervisor of minors engaged in door-to-door sales.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Electrician certification program
Certification to perform certain work as an electrician.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Elevators and other conveyances
Approval to install a conveyance device. Certification as a conveyance company, mechanic, or inspector. Permit to operate a conveyance.
Entertainment: 10-day temporary entertainment work permit
10-day permit for minor who wishes to be employed in the entertainment industry.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Entertainment work permit
Permit for minor who wishes to be employed in the entertainment industry.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Farm labor contractors
License to operate as a farm labor contractor.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Garment manufacturers and contractors
  • Registration of employer engaged in garment manufacturing.
  • Registration of leasing company or temporary agency that provides the services of employees in the garment manufacturing industry.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Industrial homeworkers
  • Permit to work as an industrial homeworker.
  • License to employ an industrial homeworker.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Janitorial service providers and contractors registration
Registration for employers who provide janitorial services
Labor Commissioner's Office
Medical provider network (MPN)
Approval of a plan for a workers' compensation medical provider network.
Division of Workers' Compensation
Mining and tunneling
Permit to perform certain construction and demolition activities in mining and tunneling. Certification as a safety representative. Certification as a gas tester. Permit to use a diesel engine underground.
Pressure vessels
Certification to inspect pressure vessels. Permit to operate a pressure vessel.
Produce Unloaders
Registration for people who unload farm produce in a market in which five or more dealers operate.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Public works projects
Certification of the employment of apprentices.
Division of Apprenticeship Standards
Qualified medical evaluator (QME)
Certification of qualified physicians to evaluate disability and write medical-legal reports in workers' compensation cases.
Division of Workers' Compensation
Self insurance
Approval (certification of consent) to self-insure for workers' compensation.
Office of Self Insurance Plans
Sheltered workshops and special minimum wage workers
  • License for a nonprofit organization to pay a special minimum wage to workers.
  • License for an individual to be paid a special minimum wage.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Studio teachers
Certification to work with minors as a studio teacher.
Labor Commissioner's Office
Talent agency license and fee-related talent services
License to operate as a talent agency.
Labor Commissioner's Office

May 2023