DIR Now Hiring: Special Assistant to the Cal/OSHA Chief
The mission of the Department of Industrial Relations’ (DIR) Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH, also known as Cal/OSHA) is to protect and improve the health and safety of workers in California through the following activities:
- Setting and enforcing standards.
- Providing outreach, education and assistance,
- Issuing permits, licenses, certifications, registrations and approvals.
Cal/OSHA is seeking an innovative and service-minded individual for the role of Special Assistant to the Chief.
Please join us in building an inclusive and culturally diverse workplace at all levels of the department.
The Special Assistant reports to the Chief of Cal/OSHA, and serves as a vital member of the Cal/OSHA executive team. The Special Assistant serves as a policy and program advisor to the Chief on proposed State and Federal policy initiatives and legislation impacting the Cal/OSHA program, providing objective, independent advice and recommendations on significant policy issues and activities affecting the full range of the Cal/OSHA program. This includes coordinating and collaborating with federal OSHA, advising the Chief, Chief Counsel and Deputy Chiefs on complex and sensitive statewide issues and projects, ensuring deadlines, strategic initiatives and legislative mandates are met and performing all necessary functions to ensure the division secures funding for new positions.
In this role, the Special Assistant:
- Consults with, advises and assists the Chief, Chief Counsel, Deputy Chiefs and other division executives in anticipating, identifying and analyzing issues relevant to state and federal policy initiatives, legislation and regulations impacting the Cal/OSHA program.
- Oversees policy-related special projects for the Chief, such as review of division-wide regulatory efforts and identifies, analyzes, reviews and tracks pending or proposed legislation affecting the division, including overseeing and tracking the implementation of signed bills and submission of state-mandated reports, and coordinating with division executive management to ensure statutory deadlines are met.
- Collaborates with executive management to develop key performance indicators and management tools for monitoring performance and compliance with state and federal mandates.
- Assists the Chief in consultation with DIR, the DOSH legal unit and other impacted units in creating plans to implement bills that become law.
The position is located in Northern California with the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR), headquartered in the beautiful Elihu Harris Building in Oakland, CA. The position consists of both in-office and telework. Oakland is known for its theaters, waterfront dining, and modern wonders such as the Chabot Space & Science Center. Oakland is centrally located in the Bay Area with easy access on the Bay Area Rapid Transportation (BART) rail system, and a short drive to Sacramento, San Francisco, Napa, Lake Tahoe, and other beautiful cities in California.
The Ideal Candidate
- Cal/OSHA is looking for a diplomatic individual with exceptional interpersonal skills. A viable candidate would have a high level of personal and professional integrity, sound judgment, and quality decision making skills. In addition, Cal/OSHA is seeking a seasoned professional with:
- Demonstrated commitment to transparency and strong communication.
- Experience with efficient and effective policy development and rule-making in the areas of health and safety.
- Demonstrated utilization of improvement methodologies including: data, metrics and measurements.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholder groups including labor and management groups, federal, state and local communities.
- Demonstrated commitment and innovation related to diversity, inclusion and equity policies.
The annual salary range for this position is $138,684 - 154,428.
A comprehensive benefits package is also offered which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k)/457 retirement plans
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending account to save on medical and child care expenses
- Paid vacation and holidays
If you are interested in this outstanding opportunity, please:
- Submit your application for appointment via the link below:
- Email your resume to Samantha.Diaz@gov.ca.gov with "Special Assistant to the Cal/OSHA Chief" in the subject line
Candidates will be advised of the status of the recruitment following the selection of the Special Assistant to the Cal/OSHA Chief.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call or email Samantha Diaz at (916) 445‑4541 or Samantha.Diaz@gov.ca.gov