Tree Work Safety
Tree work includes:
- Trimming, pruning, felling, and removing trees and bushes
- Climbing trees
- Using portable ladders
- Being lifted in aerial devices
- Using power tools while in a tree
- Working near energized power lines
- Feeding wood chippers
Tree work injuries can be fatal:
- Crushing injuries, internal bleeding, and skull fractures after falling from trees or ladders or being struck by falling objects or tree branches
- Electric shock and arc flash burns from contacting overheard energized electrical lines
- Lacerations and major blood loss from chainsaw accidents
- Suffocation from collapsed palm tree skirt
- Dismemberment or decapitation from being pulled into a wood or brush chipper
- Anaphylaxis from bee stings and other harmful animals
- Heat stroke and organ failure from exposure to hot environments.
Tree Work Safety Video
Animated video showing tree worker fatality data and basic safety requirements:
Other Cal/OSHA Resources
Tree Work Safety Fact Sheet
Two-page fact sheet that discusses how to improve tree work safety, with regulations that specifically apply to tree work.
Tree Work Safety for Workers and Employers (English and Spanish)
Trifold pamphlet providing basic information on improving tree work safety, with Cal/OSHA contact information.
Tree Work Safety Guide
Comprehensive 22-page guide to improving tree work safety, includes Cal/OSHA requirements and links to additional resources.
Department of Public Health Resources
(Videos in English and Spanish)
Preventing Fatal Suffocation from Collapsing Palm Tree Fronds
Video with resources – digital story showing how 35-year-old tree worker died of suffocation from collapsed palm fronds.
Preventing Death Caused by Being Thrown Against a Wood Chipper
Video with resources – digital story showing how 33-year-old tree worker was killed when thrown against a wood chipper.
How to Reach Cal/OSHA
If you have questions or need assistance with tree work safety, contact Cal/OSHA's Consultation Services Branch. Statewide toll-free number: (800) 963-9424.