Workplace Violent Incident Reporting System for Hospitals
IMPORTANT NOTE TO HOSPITAL USERS:
The link to the Workplace Violent Incident Reporting System for Hospitals is changing effective April 30, 2018 at 5:00 pm. After that date, you can access the system here: https://dirhelp.service-now.com/wpv
- General Acute Care Hospitals (GACH), Acute Psychiatric Hospitals (APH), and Special Hospitals (SH) are required to report incidents of workplace violence at their facilities to Cal/OSHA. For reporting requirements, refer to subsection (g) of Title 8, CCR, Section 3342.
- Reports are accepted only through the secure online reporting system set up by Cal/OSHA.
- No email, fax, or phone reports are accepted.
How to Get Started
- Before reports can be submitted online, hospital facilities must pre-register with Cal/OSHA.
- A pre-registered hospital facility can then refer authorized staff to register for user accounts using the online system.
- Only individuals authorized by the hospital may sign up for user accounts and submit reports.
- Cal/OSHA has developed a series of six online tutorials to help hospital administrators and registered users understand reporting requirements and how to use the system.
Senate Bill 1299 (SB1299) requires that Cal/OSHA post a report each January on the total number of incidents reported, the names of the hospital facilities that made a report(s), the outcome of any related inspections or investigations, the citations levied against a hospital based on a violent incident, and recommendations for the prevention of violent incidents in hospitals. Cal/OSHA may also post data aggregated across facilities for data elements of interest. Cal/OSHA will not identify individual facilities in the posted aggregate data.
- OSHPD ID Look-up for the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) identification number for your hospital facility
- Workplace Violence in Healthcare reporting - Frequently Asked Questions
- SB 1299 Workplace violence prevention plans: hospitals.
- Title 8, CCR, Section 3342 Workplace Violence Prevention in Health Care
If you have any questions or issues, please email us at DOSHWPV@dir.ca.gov.