Apprenticeship Innovation Funding (AIF)
The Apprenticeship Innovation Funding (AIF) is a new funding source in the state of California as of 2022 for new and innovative apprenticeship programs, defined as apprenticeships associated with the Interagency Advisory Committee on Apprenticeships (IACA). The AIF aims to support IACA apprenticeship program sponsors to sustain and scale their programs and train apprentices.
The State has allocated $135 million over 3 years to support ongoing costs of these programs and classroom training, with $55 Million specifically allocated to FY 2022-2023 and $40 Million allocated to FY 2023-2024. The intent of the funding is to support both new and existing IACA Apprenticeship programs to grow and scale to meet the needs of more employers and create more earn and learn pathways for job seekers.
Request for Public Comment
DAS is currently seeking feedback on the first round of AIF Funding through this public comment survey.
Please submit any feedback and public comment through January 3, 2024.
Submissions for reimbursement open once per year, considering active apprentices supported and trained in previous year.
2022-2023 Submission for Reimbursement Process
- March 16, 2023 - Submissions for Reimbursement Open - Launch webinar - Recording here
- March 11, 2023, 12pm PST - Deadline for Submissions
- May - June – Review and Processing of Submissions
- July - September - Estimated Payment Window
Type of funding: Formula
Estimated total funding: $55,000,000 in FY 2022-2023
- AIF - Support
- Amount: $3500 per active apprentice per year, prorated to the month, along with $1000 per apprentice completion bonus
- Covers the cost of running an apprenticeship program, aggregating employer demands, and recruiting, supporting, and placing apprentices
- AIF - Training
- Amount: $8.82 per training hour per apprentice
- Allows for new training programs to develop in a more agile manner and will specifically be used for training costs for IACA Apprentices
Resources for submitting for submitting for Reimbursement:
AIF- Support Cover Sheet
AIF- Support Expense Report
AIF- Support Expense Narrative
AIF- Training Cover Sheet
AIF- Training Expense Report
AIF- Training Expense Narrative
Standard Form 204
Standard Form 205
Web Registration User Guide for Apprentice Agreements (IACA)
Web Registration User Guide for AIF CAS Report
More InformationDAS is seeking feedback on the first round of AIF, please provide your feedback through this survey. The deadline for Public Comment is January 3, 2024
Sector: All new and innovative apprenticeship programs, defined as apprenticeships associated with the sectors overseen by the Interagency Advisory Committee on Apprenticeships (IACA). These sectors include healthcare, transportation, education, advanced manufacturing, information technology and every sector outside of the building and fire trades.
Target population: The intent of the funding is to support both new and existing IACA Apprenticeship programs to grow and scale to meet the needs of more employers and create more earn and learn pathways for job seekers.
AIF - Support
- Apprenticeship Intermediaries
- Labor Management Partnerships Organizations, Unions
- Public Educational Institution: Community College, K12, Adult Education, County Office of Education, California State Universities, Universities of California, Regional Occupational Program
- Workforce Development Board
- Private for-profit
- Public Sector Entities
- Industry Associations
AIF - Training
- K-12 School
- County Office of Education
- Regional Occupational Program
- Community College
- California State University
- University of California
- Adult Education
Required partners: N/A