Car Washing and Polishing
All businesses engaged in car washing and polishing in California must register.
Steps to register:
- Gather the required documents.
- Complete the required tax authorization form.
- Complete the new application or renew your existing registration online or by mail.
Exceptions to the registration requirements are in place for the following:
- Motor vehicle repair
- Charitable, youth, service, veteran or sports group, club or association that occasionally holds car washing and polishing fundraisers.
- Licensed vehicle dealers or car rental agencies that clean their vehicles as part of their business practices
- Self-service or automated car wash businesses that only have employees at the cash register or maintaining the equipment
Car wash and polishing businesses must pay $300 per location for annual registration and assessment fees. The fees are due when you submit your application. If you are mailing your application, please include a cashier’s check or money order payable to DLSE.
Car washing and polishing businesses must post their current, valid registration where it can be easily read by the employees during the workday.
Record Keeping Requirements:
Pursuant to Labor Code section 2052, every employer must keep accurate records for three (3) years showing all of the following:
- The names and addresses of all employees engaged in rendering actual services for any business of the employer
- The hours worked daily by each employee, including the times the employee begins and ends each work period
- All gratuities received daily by the employers, whether received directly from the employee or indirectly by deduction from the wages of the employee or otherwise
- The wage and wage rate paid each payroll period
- The age of all minor employees
- Any other conditions of employment
- Verify a car washing and polishing business registration using the registration search tool
- Check list of license denials, revocations, or suspensions
- Rules and Regulations
Report an unlicensed carwash
Call the DLSE car washing enforcement hotline:
Labor Commissioner's Office