Report a Problem
- Frequently asked questions
- Legislative reports
- Labor Commissioner's Databases
Car Wash & Polishing
Every person engaged in the business of car washing & polishing must register with the Labor Commissioner. California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 13680 through 13693.
“Car washing and polishing” means washing, cleaning, drying, polishing, detailing, servicing, or otherwise providing cosmetic care to vehicles. “Car washing and polishing” does not include motor vehicle repair, as defined in Section 9880.1 of the Business and Professions Code. Labor Code section 2051(a)
"Employer" means any individual, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, joint venture, or association engaged in the business of car washing and polishing that engages any other individual in providing those services. Labor Code Section 2051(b)(1).
"Employer" does not include any charitable, youth, service, veteran, or sports group, club, or association that conducts car washing and polishing on an intermittent basis to raise funds for charitable, education, or religious purposes. "Employer" does not include any licensed vehicle dealer or car rental agency that conducts car washing and polishing ancillary to its primary business of selling, leasing, or servicing vehicles. "Employer" does not include either a new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in Section 426 of the Vehicle Code, that is primarily engaged in the business of selling, leasing, renting, or servicing vehicles or an automotive repair dealer, as defined by subdivision (a) of Section 9880.1 of the Business and Professions Code, who is primarily engaged in the business of repairing and diagnosing malfunctions of motor vehicles. "Employer" does not include any self-service car wash or automated car wash that has employees for cashiering or maintenance purposes only. . Labor Code Section 2051(b)(2).
"Employee" means any person, including an alien or minor, who renders actual car washing and polishing services in any business for an employer, whether for tips or for wages, and whether wages are calculated by time, piece, task, commission, or other method of calculation, and whether the services are rendered on a commission, concessionaire, or other basis.Labor Code Section 2051(c)
- Notice regarding car washing bond increasing to $150,000
- 2009 Legislation - Car Washing and Polishing
- Caution: Before purchasing an existing carwash establishment be aware of potential successor liability. See Labor Code section 2066 and Notice to carwash applicants.
- Obtain a new registration or renew an existing registration - Includes links to the new online application and downloadable forms for paper application.
- Make an Online Payment
- Verify a registration – Includes registrations approved in the last 12 months
- Search databases for license denials, revocations or suspensions
- DLSE creates car wash registration enforcement hotline - 1-877-227-5158
For questions or to request an application/renewal form(s), email DLSE.email@example.com
DLSE Licensing & Registration
P.O. Box 420603
San Francisco, CA 94142
Fax (415) 703-4808