Entertainment Work Permit for Minors

Entertainment Industry Sexual Harassment Prevention Training Requirements

Beginning January 1, 2019, all talent agencies operating in California must provide their artists with educational materials on sexual harassment prevention, retaliation, reporting resources, nutrition and eating disorders.

Applicants for entertainment work permits for minors between the ages of 14 and 17 must also complete sexual harassment prevention training before obtaining a minor’s entertainment work permit.


Registration Application

All minors working in the entertainment industry in California must register.

  • 10-day permit – First time registrants may request this permit for a $50.00 fee. (Online only)
    • Renewal applications and 16 - 17 year olds not eligible
  • 6-month permit - Registrants may register or renew every 6-months free of charge.

Steps to register:

  • Review and gather the requirements for obtaining a work permit.
  • Complete the new application or renew your existing registration online, or by mail.
  • To apply online, the parent/guardian needs to create an account in their own name.

Effective March 2, 2020, applications dropped off in person require a letter from a production entity or audition entity for same-day service. A letter from an agent or manager will not be accepted.

The letter must include at minimum:
  - Minor's name
  - Date minor will be working or auditioning
  - Signed and dated by entity writing the letter

Applications with valid proof for an upcoming job will be expedited and permits will be issued at least 3 days prior to the scheduled job and sent to the email address on file.

Regular applications submitted in person without any upcoming jobs will be processed in the order received.

Click here for official notice.

Protect Your Child

Labor Code section 1706 currently prohibits persons who are required to register as sex offenders from representing or providing specified services to artists or performers less than 18 years of age. Beginning July 1, 2013, any person who performs specified activities for minors in the entertainment industry must apply for and obtain a Child Performer Services permit from the Labor Commissioner’s Office. Read more about the Child Performer Services permit in the press release and CPS Regulations.


Contact Us

Email (Recommended)




June 2024