Who Needs Certification?
Studio teachers who are working with minors, defined as those under age 18, must obtain certification. Certifications are good for three years. For further information on regulations, see Studio Teachers: Requirements for Certification.
Apply for Certification
You can obtain application using one of the following options:
- Download the application (Adobe Reader required):
- Email a request for an application with your complete mailing address to DLSE.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call the Licensing & Registration Unit, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at 510-285-3196 to request that an application be sent to you.
- Request an application by mail or in person:
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Licensing and Registration
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1902
Oakland, CA 94612
No fees are required. To avoid any delays in obtaining your certification, be sure that your application is complete, including supporting documentation as follows:
- Proof of a valid and current California elementary and California secondary credential or a California Multiple Subject K-12
- Proof of a valid and current California single-subject credential in English, math, social science, science or foreign language
- The Labor Commissioner reserves the right to request additional supporting documentation as may be needed to complete the investigation as to the character, competency and responsibility of the applicant
The requirements, including the application form and documentation, are the same for renewals as for new applications.
Studio teachers are subject to specific requirements, including a written examination and completion of a twelve-hour course of instruction. For details, see Studio Teachers: Requirements for Certification.
- Rules about certifying to become a studio teacher
- California Labor Code
- Child Labor Law pamphlet
- How to Obtain Certification to Work as a Studio Teacher
- Summary tables of requirements and restrictions arranged by age and summary of penalties
- Information on Minors and Employment
- California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Contact us at DLSE.email@example.com if you have any questions.