DWC Posts Order Adopting Updates to Medical Treatment Guidelines
The Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) has posted an order adopting regulations to update the evidence-based treatment guidelines of the Medical Treatment Utilization Schedule (MTUS).
The updates, effective for medical treatment services rendered on or after April 18, 2019, incorporate by reference the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine’s (ACOEM’s) most recent treatment guidelines to the Clinical Topics section of the MTUS.
“We are publishing this Administrative Order one month before its effective date to give the public, especially treating physicians and utilization review physicians, 30 days to prepare before these evidence-based updates become effective,” said DWC Administrative Director George Parisotto.
The ACOEM guidelines that are incorporated by reference into the MTUS are:
- Ankle and Foot Disorders Guideline (ACOEM July 16, 2018)
- Cervical and Thoracic Spine Disorders Guideline (ACOEM October 17, 2018)
- Elbow Disorders Guideline (ACOEM August 23, 2018)
- Hand, Wrist, and Forearm Disorders Guideline (ACOEM January 7, 2019)
- Workplace Mental Health: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Acute Stress Disorder Guideline (ACOEM December 18, 2018)
“DWC has incorporated the most recent guidelines to ensure the MTUS contain the most recent, state-of-the-art current evidence-based recommendations,” said DWC Executive Medical Director Dr. Raymond Meister.
The administrative order consists of the order and two addendum:
- Addendum one shows the regulatory amendments directly related to the evidence-based updates to the MTUS.
- Addendum two contains hyperlinks to the updated ACOEM guidelines adopted and incorporated into the MTUS by reference.
Health care providers treating, evaluating (QME), or reviewing (UR or IMR) in the California workers’ compensation system may access the MTUS (ACOEM) Guidelines and MTUS Drug List at no cost by registering for an account.