workers' images

Starting Your Business

Register a Business Name

Get a Federal Tax ID Number

Register for State and Local Taxes

Obtain Proper Permits to Begin Operation

The Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (also known as the Labor Commissioner’s Office) issues permits for several industries.  Those are:

The Division of Occupational Safety and Health (also known as Cal/OSHA) issues permits for industries where significant safety risks can exist:

Other Industries – Teachers, Real Estate Agents, Physicians, Dentists, etc are granted permits through the Department of Consumer Affairs:

Understand Employer Responsibilities

  • Additional questions regarding holidays, overtime, rest periods, retaliation/discrimination are answered here
  • Make sure you know exactly what records you need to keep as a business owner, what forms your employees need to fill out, what benefit plans you can offer, and more here:

Get Online

  • Google has partnered with the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz), Intuit, the NFIB and several regional chambers of commerce to create “Get Your Business Online” a free resource to California small business.  The service provides a free easy-to-build Intuit website, free customized domain name, free web hosting for one year, and many more online tools and training.

Other resources to check when starting a business

Small Business Portal Homepage

February 2021