Car Wash Registration Document Requirements
Before you submit your application, you should have ready the following required documents:
- Copies of your:
- Fictitious Business Name Statement(s) (doing business as (dba)) for any business name(s) you use or intend to use,
- State Employer Identification Number (SEIN) or application for it.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or application for it.
- Articles of Incorporation, if you are a corporation.
- Articles of Organization, if you are a limited liability company (LLC).
- Certificate of Limited Partnership, if you are a limited partnership.
- Secretary of State Statement of Information, if you are a corporation or LLC.
- A sample form of your contract and the 24-hour cancellation notice that you use or intend to use, if you are an employee leasing company.
- Proof of your workers’ compensation coverage - one of the following:
- A valid workers’ compensation insurance certificate which must include the following:
- The complete and correct name of the legal entity that is the insured employer, including fictitious business names and the complete and correct address for each location,
- Identify the certificate holder as:
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Licensing and Registration Unit
1515 Clay Street, STE 1902
Oakland, CA 94612
- Certificate of authority to self-insure.
- If contracting with an employee leasing company, a current workers’ compensation insurance certificate that is provided to you by the employee leasing company.
- Proof of compliance with your city, county, district or other local government business licensing or regional regulatory requirements.
For example, a car wash operating within the jurisdiction of the South County Regional Wastewater Authority is required to have an industrial waste discharge permit certificate.
- A surety bond
- For New Applicants:
A surety bond of $150,000. The bond must be issued by a surety company licensed to do business in the State of California, and must be in favor of and payable to the people of the State of California. The bond may either be on the surety’s form or on the form provided by the Labor Commissioner.
- For Renewal Applicants:
A surety bond $150,000 must be continuously in place while conducting a car washing and polishing business.
- Exception: If you are covered by a valid collective bargaining agreement, no surety bond is required.
- Contracting with an employee leasing company?
Employee leasing companies that engage in car washing and polishing must be registered with the Labor Commissioner.
If you are contracting with an employee leasing company, submit the following with your application:
- A copy of your signed contract with the employee leasing company.
- The employee leasing company’s valid workers’ compensation insurance certificate.