Small Business Portal
Start a Small Business
California provides services and assistance for starting a small business. The resources below include information from the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz).
The California Office of the Small Business Advocate (CalOSBA) has a detailed portal of resources on starting, managing and growing a small business
Starting Your Business
- Before the First Employee Starts Work
- Register a Business Name
- Get a Federal Tax ID Number
- Register for State and Local Taxes
- Obtain Proper Permits to Begin Operation
- Understand Employer Responsibilities
- Get Online
- Other resources to check when starting a business
- Following the Proper Payroll Guidelines
- Withholding Payroll for Federal & State Taxes
- Workplace Posting Obligations
- Obtaining Required Insurance Policies
- Alternative Workweeks
Creating and Maintaining a Safe Workplace
The Department of Industrial Relations is a resource for small businesses. Contact us for information and assistance with workplace requirements.
Get resources on workplace safety and health requirements.
Know how to pay workers properly.
Learn about having an insurance plan to cover workplace injuries and illnesses.
Find workforce solutions by developing an approved apprenticeship program.
- Attend a meeting, workshop or hearing
- Do business with DIR
- Get workplace postings
- View Labor Law FAQs
- Register a car wash
- Register for garment manufacturing
- Report a violation of the state Labor Code
- Apply for a permit or registration with Cal/OSHA
- See available occupational health and safety publications
- Develop an injury & illness prevention program
- Get information on workplace safety & health requirements
- Obtain a free consultation from Cal/OSHA Consultation Services
- Report an accident or injury