3. Lifting/Lowering: Unstable or Heavy Loads
Handling unstable or heavy loads, safer ways to do this
- Tag the load to alert workers.
- Test the load for stability and weight before carrying the load.
- Use mechanical devices or equipment to lift the load.
- Reduce the weight of the load by:
- Putting fewer items in the container.
- Using a smaller and/or lighter-weight container.
- Repack containers so contents will not shift and the weight is balanced.
- Use team lifting as a temporary measure for heavy or bulky objects.