How to file a retaliation/discrimination complaint

Employees, former employees, or job applicants who have suffered retaliation or discrimination may file a retaliation complaint. The Labor Commissioner’s Office maintains a listing of California laws that specifically prohibits retaliation, discrimination, and pay inequity.

File a Retaliation and/or Equal Pay Act Claim

Workplace discrimination complaints based on race, color, ancestry, religion, age (40 and over), disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, or national origin (including language restrictions), should be filed with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

Prepare to file your complaint

Gather the facts

Gather any information showing your employer took action against you because you exercised your labor rights. Document any change in your employment conditions following the moment you exercised your rights, such as demotion or reductions in pay or hours. Gather documents to compare your employment conditions prior to that moment, such as pay stubs, time sheets, personnel evaluations or commendations, personal notes or other records.

Other Resources

February 2024