COVID-19 Required Postings, Videos and Other Resources
Paid Sick Leave Options
- Federal Paid Sick Leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response ACT (FFCRA)
- Up to 80 hours of COVID-19 related Supplemental paid sick leave is available to workers if they are employed by an organization with fewer than 500 employees under the FFCRA. This is enforced by the US Department of Labor.
- California COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
- Up to 80 hours of COVID-19 related Supplemental paid sick leave may be available to workers at companies with 500 or more employees. Certain healthcare employees and first responders with employers of any size if they are not covered by federal law may also qualify.
- Local COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
- Certain municipalities also have paid sick leave laws. If workers are subject toalocal sick leave ordinance, the employer must comply with both state and local laws, which may differ in some respects. The employer must provide the leave amount that is most generousto the worker. Workers should consult with the relevant local enforcement agency for the locality in which they work for more information.
- California Paid Sick Leave Law
- California’s Paid Sick Leave law, which came into effect in 2015, provides for paid time off from your employer that can be used for COVID or non-COVID related illnesses and for preventive care. Most workers are entitled to paid sick leave, earning one hour of paid leave for every 30 hours worked. The sick leave that employers are required to provide is capped at 24 hours or three days per year. To qualify for sick leave, a worker must work for the employer for at least 30 days within a year and complete a 90-day employment period before taking any sick leave. An employer may satisfy its obligation to provide sick leave by providing employees 24 hours or three days of sick leave at the beginning of each year. Employers can decide to provide more generous leave. Additional information on how it applies to COVID-19.
- Supplemental Paid Sick Leave (30 secs)
- Know Your Rights on Paid Sick Leave and Other Labor Laws (2 mins)