Hotel Housekeeping Musculoskeletal Injury Prevention
- GENERAL INDUSTRY SAFETY ORDERS,
New Section 3345
|Public hearing:||May 18, 2017|
|Comment period:||Mar. 31, 2017 - May 18, 2017|
|Filed with Secretary of State:|
- Notice / informative digest
- Proposed regulation
- Initial statement of reasons
- Final statement of reasons
- Text for Board consideration
Documents Relied Upon
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board Petition No. 526, submitted by Kurt Peterson and Pamela Vossenas, on behalf of UNITE HERE (Jan. 23, 2012).
- Division of Occupational Safety and Health’s evaluation of Petition No. 526, (Mar. 27, 2012).
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board decision regarding Petition No. 526 (June 21, 2012).
- Issue Brief: Workplace Injuries in Hotel Housekeeping in California prepared by the DIR - Office of the Director, Research Unit, May 13, 2016.
- The Federal Fiscal Year 2015-2016 High Hazard Industry List, established pursuant to Labor Code 6401.7 (e)(3)(A), identifies Accommodation and Food Services as a High Hazard Industry due to its DART (Days Away, Restricted and Transferred) rate. https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/hhu_list.pdf
- October 23, 2012, March 19, 2013, February 27, 2014, May 13, 2015 and December 3, 2015, Advisory Committee minutes and attendance sheets.
- Information for the Economic Impact Analysis obtained from the 2015 California Hotel and Lodging Association Comment Letters: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/doshreg/comments/Hotel-Housekeeping.CHLA-Comments-Sept2015.pdf (page 1, https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/doshreg/Hotel-Housekeeping/Comments.Hotel-and-Lodging-Association-12-31-2015.pdf)
- Information entitled “The Health of the Hotel Industry – It’s Financials” obtained from the December 28, 2015 Unite Here comment letter, page 12-14. https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/doshreg/Hotel-Housekeeping/Comments.Unite-Here.pdf
- Email transmission from Glenn Shor, Research and Policy Adviser / Office of the Director, DIR, sent May 18, 2016, with the subject “RE: 2013 WCIRB Data for Class 9050-Hotels”.
- Ohio State University. Ergonomic Resources for Housekeeping. https://ergonomics.osu.edu/Housekeeper%20Training%20Materials
- State Fund. Tips for Hotel Room Attendants. https://content.statefundca.com/safety/ErgoMatters/RoomAttendants.asp
- Department of Industrial Relations. Working Safer and Easier for Janitors, Custodians, and Housekeepers, 2005. www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/janitors.pdf
- British Columbia, Injury Prevention Resources for Tourism & Hospitality - Accommodation. https://www2.worksafebc.com/Portals/Tourism/Prevention-Accommodation.asp
- Ergonomics Study of Custodial, Housekeeping, and Environmental Services Positions at the University of California. May 2011. The UC System-wide Ergonomics Project Team. http://ucanr.org/sites/ucehs/files/97141.pdf
- Government of Western Australia, Department of Commerce, Checklist and information- Accommodation industry. https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/atoms/files/accommodation_2016.pdf
- California Employment Development Department. Table 2A: Third Quarter Payroll and Number of Businesses by Size Category Classified by North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) for California Third Quarter, 2015. http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/indsize/2A-15-3-FINAL.xls
- California Employment Development Department. List of Occupations Employed in Accommodation. http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/iomatrix/Staffing-Patterns3.asp?IOFlag=Ind&SIC=721000
- California Workers Compensation Information System (WCIS) Preliminary Data. Occupational Hazards Faced by Housekeepers within the Hotel and Hospitality Industry. March 19, 2013 http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/doshreg/Housekeeping_Advisory_Meeting_WCIS_Claims_Injuries.pdf#zoom=100
Occupational Safety & Health Standards Board (OSHSB)
- Standards Board public hearings
- Rulemaking proposals scheduled for hearing or adoption
- Recently approved standards
- The petition process
- The variance process
- Search for Cal/OSHA regulations
- Title 8 Index
- Upcoming advisory committees
- Recent Cal/OSHA advisory committees
- Learn about Cal/OSHA enforcement