Qualified medical evaluator process
Qualified medical evaluators (QMEs) are qualified physicians who are certified by the Division of Workers' Compensation - Medical Unit to examine injured workers to evaluate disability and write medical-legal reports. The reports are used to determine an injured worker's eligibility for workers' compensation benefits. QMEs include medical doctors, doctors of osteopathy, doctors of chiropractic, dentists, optometrists, podiatrists, psychologists and acupuncturists.
Becoming a qualified medical examiner:
Online physician education courses now available
- Competency examination booklet
- Competency examination for acupuncturists
- Physician guide - The Physician’s Guide is intended as an educational and reference tool to supplement the reader’s professional experience. While intended primarily for treating providers, others in the workers’ compensation community may also find the information helpful, particularly Qualified Medical Evaluators (QMEs) and those preparing for the QME certification exam.
QME competency examination results:
- Online physician education courses now available
DWC offers free online education courses providing continuing education credits for physicians, QMEs, chiropractors, and nurses. Current offerings include the use of the Medical Treatment Utilization Schedule (MTUS) and tips for Qualified Medical Evaluators (QME).
- There is now an approved 44-hour IDE provider for the QME Exam for Chiropractors. The International Chiropractic Association of California (ICAC) is the only approved provider for the 44 Hour Industrial Disability Evaluator (IDE) course. This course must be completed prior submitting your application packet for the QME exam. You may contact Eric Banta at 916-362-8816 or ICAChome@gmail.com to enroll.
- Online QME Form 106 Panel Request
For injuries on or after 1/1/05, online only as of Oct. 1, 2015
- Qualified medical evaluator (QME) database
Frequently asked questions:
- How to serve your report on DEU and be EAMS compliant
- How to Successfully Request a Represented Panel