Medical treatment utilization schedule (MTUS)
Doctors in California's workers' compensation system are required to provide evidence-based medical treatment. That means they must choose treatments scientifically proven to cure or relieve work-related injuries and illnesses. Those treatments are laid out in the medical treatment utilization schedule (MTUS), which contains a set of guidelines that provide details on which treatments are effective for certain injuries, as well as how often the treatment should be given, the extent of the treatment, and for how long, among other things.
This website provides a link to the guide to MTUS regulations.
- Disclosure of conflicts of interest - (MEEAC)
- Frequently asked questions about the medical treatment utilization schedule
- MTUS rulemaking
Chronic Pain Medical Treatment and Opioids Treatment Guidelines Regulations
- Text of regulations
- Chronic Pain Medical Treatment Guidelines
- Opioids Treatment Guidelines – Executive Summary, Introduction, and Recommendations (Part 1)
- Opioids Treatment Guidelines – Supplementary Materials (Part 2)
Assembly Bill 1124 (Statutes 2015, Chapter 525) requires the adoption of an evidence-based workers’ compensation drug formulary by July 1, 2017. The goal is to adopt an evidence-based drug formulary, consistent with California’s Medical Treatment Utilization Schedule (MTUS), to augment the provision of high-quality medical care, maximize health, and promote return to work in a timely fashion, while reducing administrative burden and cost.
- Interim Status Report - July 2016
- California’s Drug Formulary: An Overview
- Assembly Bill 1124
- California Workers’ Compensation Drug Formulary: Design, Implementation, and Impact Analysis Project Overview
- Implementing AB 1124 Drug Formulary forum comments
- DWC Final Medical Treatment Utilization Schedule (MTUS) Regulations, With Opioid Treatment Guidelines, Now in Effect
- DWC Posts Interim Report on Assembly Bill 1124 Mandating an Evidence-Based Workers' Compensation Drug Formulary
- DWC Posts Formulary Public Meeting Agenda and Related Materials to the DWC Forum
- DWC Posts the Proposed Guideline for Mental Illness & Stress to Online Forum