How to file a claim

File a claim form to protect your rights and start the workers’ compensation process. Your employer must give or mail you a claim form within one working day after learning about your injury or illness. If your employer doesn’t give you the claim form you can download it from the forms page of the DWC website or contact the Information and Assistance Unit.

How to fill out a claim form

Complete only the “employee” section of the form and send it to your employer right away. Be sure to sign and date the claim form and keep a copy for your records. Return the claim form to your employer in person or by mail. If you mail the claim form, use certified mail — return receipt requested — so you have a record of the date it was mailed and the date it was received. If you don’t return the completed form to your employer you may risk your right to benefits.

What happens next?

Your employer should fill out the “employer” section and forward the completed claim form to the insurance company. You should receive a copy of the completed claim form from your employer. If you don’t, request a copy and keep it for your records.

Generally, the insurance company has 14 days to mail you a letter telling you the status of your claim. If you don’t receive this letter, call the insurance company to find out the status of your claim.

Want to learn more? Find it in the guidebook

Did you know?

  • If your employer does not give you the claim form, you can contact the Information and Assistance Unit if you have questions or call the DWC Information Services Center at 1-800-736-7401 to speak to a live representative.
  • If you have filed a claim form and if your employer doesn’t deny your claim within 90 days, your injury is presumed to be covered.
  • Within one day of filing a claim form, your employer must authorize appropriate medical treatment. While your employer is deciding whether to accept or reject your claim, you may receive up to $10,000 in medical treatment.
  • If you have filed a claim form with your employer, you will also be entitled to an increase in your payments if your employer fails to pay your indemnity payments timely.

Questions workers have:

March 2023