Disability accommodation frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Q: What is a "disability accommodation"?

A: It is assistance that allows a person with a disability to have the opportunity to equally participate in the Division of Labor Standards Enforcements programs and activities and use DLSE services. Accommodations can be provided for all DLSE services and programs.

Q: Aren't all persons with disabilities disabled?

A: Not all are considered "disabled" under the law for accommodation purposes. To be considered disabled in California, you need to have an impairment that limits a major life activity. Generally, the impairment needs to be permanent, but some temporary impairments may qualify for accommodations.

If you are not sure if you are disabled under the law or think you qualify as disabled and would like to request an accommodation, please contact the district office disability accommodation coordinator (English) (Spanish) in the DLSE district office where your case is filed.

Q: How do I request a disability accommodation?

A: Several ways:

  1. You may make a request by filling out the form, Request for Accommodations by Persons with Disabilities (DLSE Form-RA).
  2. After completing the form, send or fax it to the DLSE district office disability accommodation coordinator (English) (Spanish) where your case is located. Your district office disability accommodation coordinator can provide you with the number to fax your accommodation request if needed.
  3. You can also give your request to the local disability coordinator verbally, in person or over the phone.
  4. You may also give your request to the Statewide Disabiltity Coordinator, who can be reached at 1-866-760-0144.

Q: How far in advance do I need to request the accommodation?

A: As soon as possible. If you are requesting a sign-language interpreter or a computerized translation service as an accommodation, we ask that you give us five (5) days notice before the date of the event, so DLSE can make the appropriate arrangements. Failure to give us enough notice to arrange for your accommodation may result in having to reschedule the event.

Q: What kinds of accommodations can be provided?

A: DLSE can provide reasonable accommodations. Reasonable accommodations can include the following:

  • sign-language interpreters
  • computerized translation services
  • assistive listening devices
  • wheelchairs
  • ergonomic chairs
  • audio tape recorder
  • voice amplification system
  • a "reader" for visually-impaired persons
  • enlargement of documents for visually-impaired persons
  • Braille
  • Other reasonable accommodations may be available
  • All accommodation requests will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Q: What kind of assistance is not considered reasonable?

A: It depends on each situation. Generally, the provision of personal services or personal aids, such as legal assistance, a personal assistant, assistance with personal matters (such as restroom or personal hygiene assistance), providing eyeglasses or personal hearing aids are not considered reasonable accommodations. The reasonableness of an accommodation is determined in light of the situation and circumstances of each request.

Q: Where can I get the accommodation?

A: DLSE provides accommodations at its offices and public facilities. Accommodations at non-DLSE facilities are generally not provided, but such requests will be reviewed and determined on a case-by-case basis.

Q: Am I limited to just one accommodation or request?

A: No. If you need more than one accommodation, you may request additional accommodations.

Q: Once I've made my request for accommodation, what do I do?

A: Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled event and ask for the disability accommodation coordinator in the office where the event is scheduled. He or she will work with you prior to the event starting to acquaint you with any equipment and help you with any preparation and/or set up for the event.

Q: Should I confirm my accommodation before the scheduled hearing?

A: Although it is not required, it would be helpful and may eliminate any possible confusion if you would contact the district office disability accommodation coordinator to confirm that we have made proper arrangements for all your needs or to make any changes. If your event is cancelled or rescheduled, please contact the coordinator as soon as possible after you become aware of the cancellation or change.

Q: What if I have other questions about my case?

A: For specific questions about your case which do not pertain to a disability accommodation, contact the district office.

July 2017