Garment Registration Document Requirements

Please note

  • If you are renewing your license, submit you application at least 90 days before your license expires.
  • If you are submiting you application online, the documents listed below should be saved as legible PDFs in order to attach them.

Required Documents

Before you submit your application, you should have ready the following required documents:

  • Copies of your:
    • Fictitious Business Name Statement(s) (doing business as (dba)) for any business name(s) you use or intend to use. (Contact the local county clerk's office to apply.)
    • State Employer Identification Number (SEIN) or application for it.
    • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or application for it.
    • Articles of Incorporation, if you are a corporation.
    • Articles of Organization, if you are a limited liability company (LLC).
    • Certificate of Limited Partnership, if you are a limited partnership.
    • Secretary of State Statement of Information, if you are a corporation or LLC.
    • Most recently filed Employment Development Department (EDD) DE-9 or DE-9C report.
    • A copy of the public health license is required only if business is located in Los Angeles County (with the exception of Vernon, Pasadena and Long Beach). Individual owner's/partners' and/or corporate name(s) and business names(s) must be shown. You may apply at 5050 Commerce Drive, Baldwin Park, CA 91706-1423.
    • Declaration and Authorization to Release Information (optional)
  • A sample form of your contract and the 24-hour cancellation notice that you use or intend to use, if you are an employee leasing company.
  • Proof of your workers’ compensation coverage - one of the following:
    • A valid workers' compensation insurance certificate or a copy of the certificate from the Director of the Department of Industrial Relations consenting to your being self-insured against liability to pay compensation under the State's workers' compensation laws either as an individual employer or as one employer in a group of employers.

      A valid workers‘ compensation insurance certificate MUST:
    • Show the complete and correct name of the legal entity that is the insured employer, i.e. full name of an individual (if a sole proprietorship), all partners, general and limited (if a partnership), name of limited liability company, or corporation, whichever is applicable.
    • Show correct fictitious business name (the "doing business as" name), if applicable.
    • Contain the complete and correct address of each location where the employer engages in the business of Garment Manufacturing or Contracting; and
    • Identify the certificate holder as:

        Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
        Licensing and Registration Unit
        1515 Clay Street
        Suite 1902
        Oakland, CA 94612

IMPORTANT: The Labor Commissioner’s Office will not accept copies of an application for insurance, policy declaration, information page, annual rating endorsement, or payroll report. Only the actual certificate or a readable copy of that certificate will be accepted.

October 2020