Garment Registration Document Requirements
Before you submit your application, you should have ready the following required documents:
- Copies of your:
- Fictitious Business Name Statement(s) (doing business as (dba)) for any business name(s) you use or intend to use. (Contact the local county clerk's office to apply.)
- State Employer Identification Number (SEIN) or application for it.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or application for it.
- Articles of Incorporation, if you are a corporation.
- Articles of Organization, if you are a limited liability company (LLC).
- Certificate of Limited Partnership, if you are a limited partnership.
- Secretary of State Statement of Information, if you are a corporation or LLC.
- Most recently filed Employment Development Department (EDD) DE-9 or DE-9C report.
- A copy of the public health license is required only if business is located in Los Angeles County (with the exception of Vernon, Pasadena and Long Beach). Individual owner's/partners' and/or corporate name(s) and business names(s) must be shown. You may apply at 5050 Commerce Drive, Baldwin Park, CA 91706-1423.
- Declaration and Authorization to Release Information (optional)
- A sample form of your contract and the 24-hour cancellation notice that you use or intend to use, if you are an employee leasing company.
- Proof of your workers’ compensation coverage - one of the following:
- A valid workers' compensation insurance certificate or a copy of the certificate from the Director of the Department of Industrial Relations consenting to your being self-insured against liability to pay compensation under the State's workers' compensation laws either as an individual employer or as one employer in a group of employers.
A valid workers‘ compensation insurance certificate MUST:
- Show the complete and correct name of the legal entity that is the insured employer, i.e. full name of an individual (if a sole proprietorship), all partners, general and limited (if a partnership), name of limited liability company, or corporation, whichever is applicable.
- Show correct fictitious business name (the "doing business as" name), if applicable.
- Contain the complete and correct address of each location where the employer engages in the business of Garment Manufacturing or Contracting; and
- Identify the certificate holder as:
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Licensing and Registration Unit
1515 Clay Street
Oakland, CA 94612
IMPORTANT: The Labor Commissioner’s Office will not accept copies of an application for insurance, policy declaration, information page, annual rating endorsement, or payroll report. Only the actual certificate or a readable copy of that certificate will be accepted.