Human Trafficking Notice for FLCs
State Senate Bill 1193 (effective April 1, 2013) requires that certain business establishments, including farm labor contractors, post a public notice regarding human trafficking at their workplaces in a conspicuous place that is visible to the public and workers.
- Human trafficking is the world's fastest-growing criminal enterprise and is an estimated $32 billion-a-year global industry. It is a form of modern-day slavery that profits from the exploitation of our most vulnerable populations.
- Victims of human trafficking often do not know where to turn for assistance and can be too intimidated to ask for help. Senate Bill 1193 added §52.6 to the Civil Code, which requires the posting of a public notice to inform the public and victims of human trafficking of telephone hotline numbers to call for help or report unlawful activity.
For a summary of the requirements in Senate Bill 1193 and links to other information regarding what human trafficking means and how to identify and report it, click here: https://oag.ca.gov/human-trafficking/sb1193/
FLCs must post the notice in both English and Spanish, as well as in one other language that is the most widely spoken language at the business or establishment’s location (and for which translation is mandated by the Voting Rights Act, 42 USC §1973, et seq.), as applicable.
The Labor Commissioner’s Office will assist in field enforcement of this requirement by reporting a noncompliant FLC to an appropriate prosecuting agency pursuant to Civil Code §52.6(e). Failure to post it may result in civil penalties of $500 for the first offense and $1,000 for each subsequent offense.
Reporting Human Trafficking
If you are a victim of human trafficking, know of somebody who may be a victim of human trafficking, or have information about a potential trafficking situation, please call:
- The National Human Trafficking Resource Center Hotline at 1-888-373-7888 or
- The U.S. Department of Justice Hotline at 1-888-428-7581 or
- Your Local Authorities
- Subscribe to receive announcements
- More information on human trafficking
- Required postings for FLCs
- Contact us at DLSE.firstname.lastname@example.org. if you have any questions.
Revised March 28, 2016