Summary rating

If the rating is not in dispute, you do not have to take any action to receive your benefits. You can contact the Information and Assistance Unit if you have questions or call 1-800-736-7401 during normal business hours to speak to a live representative at the Division of Workers' Compensation Information Services Center.

If you disagree and wish to dispute the rating, and you do not have an attorney, you can ask the Administrative Director to reconsider the rating. This is available as long as you have not opened a workers’ compensation case at the workers’ compensation appeals board.

If you have questions about summary rating reconsideration, please email:

You can also present your case to a workers' compensation administrative law judge. For information on how to open a case, please visit our information and assistance pages.

You are not required to accept the claims administrator’s offers. You can negotiate a settlement. If you can’t reach an agreement with the claims administrator, you can present your case to a workers’ compensation judge. The judge will decide what benefits you will receive.

You can consult an attorney. Lawyers who represent injured workers in their workers’ compensation cases are called applicants’ attorneys. Your attorney can’t directly charge you for his or her services. Your attorney’s fee will be paid out of a portion of your workers’ compensation benefits. You can get names of applicants’ attorneys from the State Bar of California, a local bar association, or the California Applicants’ Attorneys Association.

Back to Disability Evaluation Unit

March 2023