Qualified Medical Evaluators (QME)
This online two-hour course is open to the public and may also be useful for attorneys, claims administrators, and medical providers participating in the California workers’ compensation system.
At the completion of this activity, you will be able to:
- Describe how to prepare for a QME evaluation
- Identify the components of a complete report and potential pitfalls
- Identify and understand the concept of apportionment, and how it applies in the California workers’ compensation system
- Differentiate between causation of permanent disability and causation of injury, and describe the types of allowable factors in determining causation of permanent disability
- Describe the legal requirements for substantial medical evidence, and apply these standards to a medical-legal determination on apportionment
- Recognize the law requires impartiality and prohibits discrimination against injured workers based on protected characteristics including sexual orientation, race, gender, age, national origin, and religion
- Identify applicable Administrative Rules including how to schedule QME appointments, how to add or close a QME office, and how to place your QME status as unavailable or inactive
- Discuss the importance of issuing timely reports and the consequences of late reporting
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the California Medical Association (CMA) through the joint providership of The Center for Occupational and Environmental Health (COEH) and State of California Department of Industrial Relations Division of Workers' Compensation. The Center for Occupational and Environmental Health is accredited by the CMA to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Center for Occupational and Environmental Health (COEH) designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 12983, for 2.0 contact hours.