A Worker May Be Sick or Exposed to COVID-19 What is an outbreak and what do I need to report?
- What are COVID-19 symptoms and what do I need to do if an employee is sick or exposed?
- What are paid sick leave options for workers?
- What cleaning and disinfection procedures are required?
- Do I need to offer workers’ compensation benefits?
- What is an outbreak and what do I need to report?
Cal/OSHA's emergency temporary standards on COVID-19 prevention define outbreaks and major outbreaks:
- Outbreak - three or more employee COVID-19 cases in an "exposed group" within a 14-day period.
- Major outbreak - 20 or more employee COVID-19 cases in an "exposed group" within a 30-day period.
"Exposed group" means all employees at a work location, working area, or a common area at work, where an employee COVID-19 case was present at any time during the infectious period. A common area at work includes bathrooms, walkways, hallways, aisles, break or eating areas, and waiting areas. The following exceptions apply:
NOTE: An exposed group may include the employees of more than one employer. See Labor Code sections 6303 and 6304.1 for full details.
Notification to the Local Health Department
You must contact the local health department immediately but no longer than 48 hours after you become aware of three or more COVID-19 cases for guidance on preventing the further spread of COVID-19 within the workplace.
You must provide to the local health department the total number of COVID-19 cases and for each COVID-19 case, the name, contact information, occupation, workplace location, business address, the hospitalization and/or fatality status, and North American Industry Classification System code of the workplace of the COVID-19 case, and any other information requested by the local health department. You should continue to give notice to the local health department of any subsequent COVID-19 cases at the workplace.
- Cal/OSHA FAQs on AB 685 new notification requirements
- Cal/OSHA FAQs on emergency temporary COVID-19 prevention requirements
- Revisions to the COVID-19 Prevention ETS FAQs