Fire Fighters’ Personal Protective Clothing and Equipment – AB 2146 (2014)
- GENERAL INDUSTRY SAFETY ORDERS,
Section 3401, Section 3402, New Sections 3402.1 - 3402.3,
Sections 3403 - 3410, New Section 3410.1 and Section 3411
|Public hearing:||Mar. 18, 2021|
|45-day comment period:||Jan. 29, 2021 - Mar. 18, 2021|
|15-day Notice comment period:||Oct. 29, 2021 - Nov. 18, 2021|
|2nd 15-day Notice comment period:||Jan. 5, 2022 - Jan. 20, 2022|
|3rd 15-day Notice comment period:||Feb. 8, 2022 - Feb. 24, 2022|
|Filed with Secretary of State:|
- Notice / informative digest
- Proposed regulation
- Initial statement of reasons
- 15-day Notice of proposed modifications
- 2nd 15-day Notice of proposed modifications
- 3rd 15-day Notice of proposed modifications
- Final statement of reasons
- Text for Board consideration
Documents Incorporated by Reference
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971, Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting, 2018 Edition.
- NFPA 1982, Standard on Personal Alert Safety Systems (PASS), 2018 Edition.
- NFPA 1981, Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services, 2019 Edition.
- NFPA 1977, Standard on Protective Clothing and Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting, 2016 Edition.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Specification, Shelter, Fire (M-2002), 5100-606C, August 22, 2011.
- NFPA 1851, Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting, 2014 Edition.
- NFPA 1971, Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting, 2007 Edition.
- American National Standard Institute (ANSI)/International Safety Equipment Association (ISEA), American National Standard for Occupational and Educational Personal Eye and Face Protection Devices, ANSI/ISEA Z87.1-2015.
- NFPA 1982, Standard on Personal Alert Safety Systems (PASS), 2007 Edition.
- NFPA 1852, Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), 2019 Edition.
- NFPA 1981, Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services, 2013 Edition.
- NFPA 1977, Standard on Protective Clothing and Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting, 2011 Edition.
- NFPA 1984, Standard on Respirators for Wildland Fire-Fighting Operations, 2016 Edition.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Specification, Chaps, Chainsaw, 6170-4G, September 6, 2011.
Documents Relied Upon
- Assembly Bill No. 2146 (Chapter 811), Skinner, Occupational Safety: Firefighters: Personal Protective Equipment, 2013 - 2014. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB2146
- October 22 – 23, 2015 Advisory Committee (AC) Meetings: AC Members’ Roster, AC Attendance Sheets*, and AC Minutes. https://www.dir.ca.gov/oshsb/Personal_Protective_Clothing_and_Equipment_for_Firefighters_AC.html
- January 20, 2016 AC Meeting: AC Members’ Roster, AC Attendance Sheets*, and AC Minutes. https://www.dir.ca.gov/oshsb/Personal-Protective-Clothing-and-Equipment-for-Firefighters-2nd-AC.html
- May 2 – 3, 2016 AC Meetings: AC Members’ Roster and AC Minutes. https://www.dir.ca.gov/oshsb/Personal-Protective-Clothing-and-Equipment-for-Firefighters-3rd-AC.html
- Occupational Environmental Medicine; Mortality and Cancer Incidence in a Pooled Cohort of U.S. Firefighters from San Francisco, Chicago, and Philadelphia (1950-2009); Robert D. Daniels; Travis L. Kubale; James H. Yiin, et al.; BMJ Publishing Group Ltd.; Published Online on October 14, 2013; Pages 1 - 18. https://oem.bmj.com/content/71/6/388
- Journal of Environmental Medicine; Cancer Risk Among Firefighters: A Review and Meta-analysis of 32 Studies; Grace K LeMasters, PhD; Ash M. Genaidy, PhD; Paul Succop, PhD; James Deddens, PhD; Tarek Sobeih, MD, PhD; Heriberto Barriera-Viruet, PhD; Kari Dunning, PhD; and James Lockey, MD, MS; American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine; Volume 48; Number 11; November 2006; Pages 1189 - 1202.
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), News & Research, NFPA Update on PASS Performance Issues, PASS Performance Issues Addressed in 2007 Edition of NFPA Standard, Safety Alert Issued on February 9, 2007. https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Resources/Emergency-Responders/Health-and-Wellness/NFPA-update-on-PASS-performance-issues
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal (AIHAJ); Characterization of Firefighter Exposures During Fire Overhaul; Dawn M. Bostad-Johnson, Jefferey L. Burgess, Clifton D. Crutchfield, Steve Storment, Richard Gerkin, and Jeffrey R. Wilson; AIHAJ 61:636-641 (2000); September/October 2000; Pages 636 - 641.
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1500, 1720, and 1851; Understanding & Implementing Standards; NFPA 1851 Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Firefighting, 2008 Edition, Pages 36 - 49. https://www.nfpa.org/Assets/files/AboutTheCodes/1500/Standards_Guide_1500_1720_1851.pdf
- FEMA; U.S. Fire Administration; National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST); NIST Technical Note 1724; Fire Exposures of Fire Fighter Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus Facepiece Lenses; Amy Mensch, George Braga, and Nelson Bryner; November 2011; Fire Research Division; Engineering Laboratory; NIST; Gaitherburg, MD 20899-8661; Pages 1 - 36. https://tsapps.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=909917
- U.S. Department of Commerce, NIST, Study Finds Failure Points in Firefighter Protective Equipment, December 6, 2011, Pages 1 - 4. https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2011/12/study-finds-failure-points-firefighter-protective-equipment
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS); Science and Technology Directorate (S&T); Advanced Personal Protection System (APPS), Wildland Firefighter Personal Protective Equipment (WLFF PPE) Clothing System Program, Final Report; Version 1.1; June 30, 2014; Responder Technologies Program; DHS; S&T; Washington, D.C.; U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center, Natick, MA; Pages 1 - 67. https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/APPS%20-%20WLFF%20PPE%20FINAL%20REPORT.pdf
- United States Department of Agriculture; Forest Service; Office of Safety and Occupational Health; Safety Alert, NO. 2009-01; Subject: United States Forest Service (USFS) chain saw chaps constructed using USFS specification 6170 4E, or prior, do not meet current USFS requirements for chain saw leg protection; June 25, 2009; Pages 1 and 2. https://sbbch.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/alert-chain-saw-chaps.pdf
- Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene; 1:593-606; Baseline Measurements of Smoke Exposure Among Wildland Firefighters; Timothy E. Reinhardt and Roger D. Ottmar; September 2004; Pages 593 - 606.
- United States Department of Agriculture; Forest Service; Pacific Northwest Research Station; Smoke Exposure at Western Wildfires; Timothy E. Reinhardt and Roger D. Ottmar; Research Paper PNW-RP-525; July 2000; Pages 1 - 72. https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_rp525.pdf
- Utah State University; DigitalCommons@USU; All Graduate Plan B and Other Reports; Graduate Studies; Paper 356; Wildland Firefighter Smoke Exposure Study; George Anthony Broyles, February 2013; Pages 1 - 83. https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1356&context=gradreports
- United States Department of Agriculture; Forest Service; Technology & Development Program; Fire Tech Tips; What’s New with the New Generation Fire Shelter?; Tony Petrilli, Project Leader; April 2006; 5100; 0651-2322P-MTDC; Pages 1 - 6. https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf06512322/pdf06512322dpi72.pdf
- Institut de recherche Robert-Sauvé en santé et en sécurité du travail (IRSST); Chemical Substances and Biological Agents; Studies and Research Projects; Report R-572; Wildland Firefighter Health Risks and Respiratory Protection; Claire Austin, PhD, CMC, CIH, Consultant; September 2008; Page 21; Table 2, Carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) and Related Signs and Symptoms. https://www.irsst.qc.ca/media/documents/PubIRSST/R-572.pdf
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA); NFPA 1500; Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program; 2007 Edition; Chapter 7, Protective Clothing and Protective Equipment; Section 7.11, Respiratory Protection Equipment; Section 18.104.22.168; Page 1500-20; Technical Committee on Fire Service Occupational Safety and Health; 1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA, 02169.
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE), What is CAL FIRE?, September 2018. https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/4925/whatiscalfire.pdf
- U.S. Fire Administration – National Fire Department Registry (accessed June 16, 2020).
- Illinois Fire Service Institute; Firefighter Fatalities and Injuries - The Role of Heat Stress and PPE; July 2008; Technical Report; Firefighter Life Safety Research Center, Illinois Fire Service Institute; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. https://www.fsi.illinois.edu/documents/research/FFLSRC_FinalReport.pdf
- FEMA; Fire-Related Firefighter Injuries Reported to the National Fire Incident Reporting System (2012-2014); Topical Fire Report Series; Volume 17; Issue 6; August 2016; U.S. Department of Homeland Security; U.S.Fire Administration; National Fire data Center; Emmitsburg, Maryland; Page 1 – 12. https://nfa.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v17i6.pdf
- NFPA (2016); Fourth Needs Assessment of the U.S. Fire Service; Conducted in 2015 and Including Comparisons to the 2001, 2005, and 2010 Needs Assessment Surveys; November 2016; National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA. https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/Emergency-responders/Needs-Assessment/OSFourthNeedsAssessment.ashx
- NFPA (2011). Third Needs Assessment of the U.S. Fire Service California; Conducted in 2010 and Including Comparisons to the 2001 and 2005 Needs Assessment Surveys; October 2011; National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA. https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/Emergency-responders/Needs-Assessment/50-states/californianeedsiii.ashx?la=en
- Data Collection Summary for PPE Care and Maintenance; A Summary of Data on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Care and Maintenance Practices Collected From the Fire Service, Independent Service Providers, and PPE Manufacturers; Paul Kashmanian and Casey C. Grant; Technical Notes; February 2014; Fire Protection Research Foundation, Quincy, MA. https://nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/Emergency-responders/RFPPECareandMaintenance.ashx
Additional Documents Relied Upon - 15-Day Notice
- State Controller’s Office; Mandated Cost Manual for Local Agencies; Suspended Mandates for FY 2018-19 Source of state-mandated program suspensions – Budget Act of 2018 (Ch. 29/18) Item 8885-295-0001, Schedule (5), page 2, Structural and Wildland Firefighter’s Safety Clothing and Equipment; https://www.sco.ca.gov/Files-ARD-Local/Manuals/la_1819_susp.pdf
- U.S. Fire Administration; Wildland Urban Interface (WUI); Definition of WUI; https://www.usfa.fema.gov/wui/
* Please contact OSHSB@dir.ca.gov to request a copy of the Advisory Committee handwritten attendance sheets.
Contact the OSHSB Public Records Officer to request any Documents Relied Upon.