School Action for Safety and Health (SASH) Program
California school districts face a number of occupational safety and health issues, In some cases, school districts have been fined by Cal/OSHA when health and safety issues result in violations of Cal/OSHA standards. Maintenance and operations departments and other school employees are working to address these problems in a climate of reduced funding.
CHSWC has established a Schools Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) model program, the California School Action for Safety and Health (SASH), to help schools statewide improve their injury and illness prevention practices. The program will include training and resources to enable schools or school districts to develop or improve IIPPs and to make other health and safety improvements that will help protect school or school district employees from injuries and illnesses on the job. The target audience will focus on K-12 schools and school districts at high risk of occupational injury and illness.
For more information about the SASH Resource Center at LOHP at UC Berkeley and the Southern California training partner, at LOSH at UCLA.
How the SASH Program Helps Schools
The School Action for Safety and Health (SASH) Program is a statewide initiative to help school districts reduce the high rate of work-related injuries and illnesses among school employees.
The SASH program offers:
- A free training program to help build the capacity of district-level health and safety coordinators to be resources to other employees and develop an injury and illness prevention program to identify, prevent and eliminate hazards.
- Written materials that support injury and illness prevention activities.
- Problem-solving assistance provided in an ongoing manner by a statewide resource center.
- Once participants complete the training program, trainees become “SASH Coordinators” for their district and receive a certificate from the Commission on Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation and the University of California.
- SASH Free Training for School District Employees flyer
- School Action for Safety and Health (SASH) Brochure
- Schools are workplaces too! United for Safety poster
- Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) Template
- School Action Safety and Health binder
- Preventing Injuries from Student Behaviors: A Health and Safety Tip Sheet for California Paraeducators
- Online Health and Safety Resource Guide for School Employees
The SASH Program thanks the following agencies and organizations for their involvement in shaping the SASH Program activities and materials:
- California Association of School Business Officials (CASBO)
- California’s Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH)
- California Department of Education
- California Federation of Teachers (CFT)
- California School Employees Association (CSEA)
- California Teachers Association (CTA)
- Contra Costa County Schools Insurance Group
- Keenan & Associates
- North Bay Schools Insurance Authority
- San Diego County Schools Risk Management JPA
- Schools Insurance Authority
- CHSWC research reports
- Current CHSWC Annual Report of programs and data
- Guidebook for Injured Workers
- Guides about filing workers' comp claims
- Carve-Out/Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Young workers and workers' compensation
- Meetings, information bulletins and subscribtions to CHSWC
- Frequently asked questions about workers' comp for employers