The Worker Occupational Safety and Health Training and Education Program (WOSHTEP)
The Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) is an important written workplace safety program. Title 8 of the California Code of Regulations (T8CCR) section 3203, requires every employer to develop and implement an effective IIPP. An effective IIPP improves the safety and health in your workplace and reduces costs by good management and employee involvement.
Cal/OSHA enforces the IIPP requirement and provides useful resources and links in addition to the guide, training and materials listed below.
WOSHTEP offers free half-day IIPP trainings for small businesses on how to develop and implement an effective Injury and Illness Prevention Program (as required by Cal/OSHA’s IIPP standard). These trainings are typically co-taught with a consultant from Cal/OSHA Consultation.
WOSHTEP also offers a tailored half-day IIPP training class specifically for staffing agencies who place workers in other employers’ workplaces. These trainings review the responsibilities and expectations of both the staffing agency and the host employer for protecting temporary employees.
Specific schedule dates of WOSHTEP training programs
The 8 required Injury and Illness Prevention Program elements are:
- Hazard Assessment
- Accident/Exposure Investigation
- Hazard Correction
- Training and Instruction
To be effective your IIPP must:
- Fully involve all employees, supervisors, and management
- Identify the specific workplace hazards employees are exposed to
- Correct identified hazards in an appropriate and timely manner
- Provide effective training.
Remember, how well you actually put into practice your IIPP in your workplace is what will determine how effective it is. You must regularly review and update your IIPP in order for it to remain effective.
- Guide: Small Business Guide to Developing Your Workplace Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- Template: Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- Taking Action for Safety and Health: A Guide to Developing Your Workplace Injury and Illness Prevention Program for Agriculture - English - en español
- Injury and Illness Prevention Program Template - English - en español