Cal/OSHA Branches & Units
- Amusement Ride and Tramway
- Asbestos and Carcinogen
- Heat and Agriculture Program
- High Hazard
- Labor Enforcement Task Force
- Legal and BOI
- Mining and Tunneling
- Pressure Vessel
- Process Safety Management
- Research and Standards
- Other Units
The Crane Unit is responsible under Labor Code sections 7370-7384 for the following:
- Certifying agencies. Licensing certifying agencies to inspect and certify cranes and derricks used in lifting service exceeding three tons rated capacity.
- Crane certifier accreditation database: Use the online search function to determine whether a particular company is licensed as a crane certifier or to find a crane certifier in a particular geographical area. Or you can order a hard copy by contacting the Crane Unit.
- Tower cranes. Issuing permits to erect tower cranes and permits to operate tower cranes to help ensure the following:
- The erection, climbing, dismantling, and operation of tower cranes proceed safely.
- Crane employers are aware of all applicable Title 8 safety orders and the crane manufacturer's recommended practices prior to the erection and operation of a tower crane.
- Crane employers understand that they must notify the Crane Unit when a fixed tower crane will begin operation or be climbed or dismantled, or when a mobile tower crane will be operated at different sites.
The Crane Unit also conducts periodic inspections of tower cranes in workplaces, provides support to Cal/OSHA Enforcement district offices regarding crane safety, and conducts research into the causes of crane accidents in California. The unit analyzed three years of data on crane accidents and produced a report on Crane Accidents in 1997-1999.
Required Notifications to the Crane Unit
Crane certifiers and derrick certifiers must report deficiencies affecting the safe operation of a crane during the course of any certification inspection within 5 working days after the test date.
Contact the Crane Unit to:
- Submit required notifications
- Apply for a license or permit
- Obtain information about crane safety in California
Cal/OSHA Crane Unit
2000 E. McFadden Avenue, Suite 203
Santa Ana, CA 92705-4706