- File a workplace safety complaint
(Interpretation services available)
- Learn about worker rights
- Obtain a free consultation
Cal/OSHA Branches & Units
- Amusement Ride and Tramway
- Asbestos and Carcinogen
- Heat and Agriculture Program
- High Hazard
- Labor Enforcement Task Force
- Legal and BOI
- Mining and Tunneling
- Pressure Vessel
- Process Safety Management
- Research and Standards
- Other Units
Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit
- Asbestos Standards in Construction1, Shipyards2, and General Industry3.
- The General Industry Standard relating to Non-Asbestiform Tremolite, Anthophyllite, and Actinolite.4.
If you wish to file a complaint with Cal/OSHA about hazardous exposure to asbestos fibers or non-asbestiform fibers in your workplace, follow the instructions for filing a complaint with the Cal/OSHA Enforcement district office that serves your job location.
Asbestos Contractor Registration
Registration with Cal/OSHA is required for contractors and employers that remove asbestos having an asbestos fiber content of more than 0.1% and 100 square feet or more of surface area of asbestos-containing material.5
Asbestos Consultant and Technician Certification
Certification is required for consultants and technicians conducting asbestos sampling or planning and overseeing asbestos removal projects of 100 square feet or more of surface area of asbestos-containing construction materials.5 See also applicable California Title 8 regulations, Section 1529(q) and Section 341.15.
Asbestos Trainers Approval
Cal/OSHA has a program for approving Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) asbestos training courses.5
Required Notifications by Employers Regarding Carcinogens
Employers are required to notify Cal/OSHA in the following situations:6
The use of a carcinogen must be reported to the Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit.
Carcinogen Release Incidents
Incidents involving the release of a carcinogen must be reported to:
- The Cal/OSHA Enforcement district office in Region 1, 2, 3, or 4 that serves your job location; and
- The Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit.