Dept. of Industrial Relations logo



The Division of Occupational Safety and Health administers a number of programs which are aimed at prevention of exposure to asbestos fibers in the workplace.

Enforcement of asbestos standards

The Cal/OSHA enforcement unit enforces California's Asbestos Standards in Construction (8 CCR Section 1529), Shipyards (8 CCR Section 8358) and General Industry (8 CCR Section 5208).

The Cal/OSHA enforcement unit also enforces the General Industry Standard relating to Non-Asbestiform Tremolite, Anthophyllite, and Actinolite (8 CCR Section 5208.1).

If you wish to file a complaint with Cal/OSHA about exposure to asbestos fibers or non-abestotiform fibers in your workplace, contact the Cal/OSHA enforcement unit district office nearest to your workplace.

Asbestos contractor registration

For contractors and employers who remove asbestos (having an asbestos fiber content of more than 0.1% and greater than 100 square feet in extent), see asbestos contractor registration.

Asbestos consultant and site surveillance technician certification

Consultants planning and overseeing asbestos removal projects greater than 100 square feet in extent, see asbestos Consultant and site surveillance technician certification to view the certified consultant and site surveillance technician database. See also applicable Title 8 regulations (8 CCR Sections 1529(q) and 341.15.

Asbestos trainers approval

To obtain information about the division's program for approving asbestos trainers, see asbestos trainers approval.