Dept. of Industrial Relations logo

Supplemental job displacement benefits

Employees injured on or after Jan. 1, 2004, who are permanently unable to do their usual job, and whose employer does not offer other work, may qualify for the supplemental job displacement benefits (SJDB). SJDB comes in the form of a non-transferable voucher that can be used to pay for educational retraining or skill enhancement, or both, at state-approved or state-accredited schools.

How are the supplemental job displacement (SJDB) vouchers changing?

Currently, the voucher amount ranges from $4,000 to $10,000, depending on the PD rating.  For injuries occurring on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the voucher amount will be $6,000 across the board, regardless of the PD rating.

When is the voucher available?

Under current law, the voucher is to be offered to an injured worker when his or her PD level has been determined, either by way of an agreement between the worker and the employer or insurance company or by way of an award by a workers’ compensation judge. For injuries on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the voucher will be due 60 days after a treating doctor, agreed medical evaluator, or qualified medical evaluator declares the injured worker permanent and stationary, and issues a report outlining the worker’s work capacities, if the employer does not offer the worker a job. The job must pay no less than 85 percent of the worker’s earnings at the time of the injury, and must be expected to last at least 12 months.

Does the voucher have an expiration date?

Currently, vouchers do not expire. For injuries on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the voucher will expire if not used within two years of being issued.

Can the voucher be settled for a cash payment?

For injuries on or after Jan. 1, 2013, vouchers cannot be settled for cash.

What can the voucher be used for?

The voucher can be used for training at a California public school or any other provider listed on the state’s eligible training provider list. It can also be used to pay licensing or certification and testing fees, to purchase tools required by a training course, to purchase computer equipment of up to $1,000 and to reimburse up to $500 in miscellaneous expenses. Up to 10 percent, or $600 may be used to pay for the services of a licensed placement agency or vocational counselor.

Want to learn more? Find it in the guidebook

Did you know?

  • You can contact the Information and Assistance Unit if you have questions about benefits or call 1-800-736-7401 for recorded information
  • No more than 10 percent of the value of the voucher can be used for vocational and return to work counseling
  • In addition to tuition, a voucher may be used for the payment of fees, books and other expenses
  • If you pay for the eligible expenses, you may be entitled to reimbursement.

Questions workers have:

January 2013