- Bureau of Field Enforcement
- Wage Claim Adjudication
- Retaliation (RCI)
- Permits, Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations
- Public Works
- Electrician Certification Unit
- Private Attorney General Act (PAGA)
Labor Commissioner's Office
Electrician Certification Program
Existing law requires that persons performing work as electrician under a C-10 licensed contractor be certified pursuant to certification standards established by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. “Electricians” is defined as all persons who engage in the connection of electrical devices for electrical contractors licensed pursuant to Section 7058 of the Business and Profession Code, specifically, contractors classified as electrical contractors in the Contractors State License Board Rules and Regulations [Labor Code § 108 (c)].
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Attn: Electrician Certification Unit
1515 Clay Street., Suite 1302
Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 286-3900
Fax: (510) 286-3917
- 2016 Electrician Certification Statistics as of December 6, 2016
- Electrician Certification Curriculum Committee (ECCC)
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Test taking information
- Candidate Info Bulletin (CIB)
- Exam and Code Book Glossary of Terms in English/ Spanish
Laws and regulations
- Labor Code 108 - 108.5
- CCR Regulations Title 8 § 290 - 296.4
- Enforcement Labor Code 108.2
- Legislative Actions and Regulations
- Electrician certification status search tool
- List of certified electricians
- List of electrician trainees
- Who needs to be certified and who is eligible?
- Continuing Education Providers for Certification
- Approved on-the-job training programs for nonresidential lighting technicians
- Certification Forms
- Only print out form when completely finished, otherwise you will not be able to print the completed application
- If you write out the answers, make sure your writing is readable. If not, this may cause a delay in processing your form
- Fill out the form completely
- What is an electrician trainee?
- Guides on how to become an Electrician Trainee
- Electrician Trainee Approved Schools
- Electrician Trainee Forms
- Social Security Administration Employment History Report
Effective October 01, 2016, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will only accept a new version of the Request for Earnings Information due to an increase in the standard fees. Form will be forthcoming once approval has been received. The Social Security non-certified earnings report form SSA-7050 is available. Please go to http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdf to obtain the form. The Social Security Administration indicated that mail postmarked after October 01, 2016 containing older versions of the Form SSA-7050 or an incorrect fee will be returned to the requestor unprocessed. The Social Security Administration form is subject to change, however, while waiting for the updated form to be posted, please attach a verification of employment from your employer(s) with the following information included on their company letterhead: Classification, duties, dates of employment, total number of hours worked.
- The certification exam will be based on the NEC 2014 code book effective January 1, 2017. If you plan to take the NEC 2011 exam or will schedule your exam date on or after January 1, 2017 PSI will still have it available until April, 1, 2017. The Candidate Information Bulletin provides information on rescheduling or cancelling exams, content of exam and special accommodations. Please go to this link for more information on test taking http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/CandidateInfoBulletin.htm.
- Electrician Certification and Electrician Trainee forms that are fillable and printable.
- Electrical Exam Overview 2015-2016