- Bureau of Field Enforcement
- Wage Claim Adjudication
- Retaliation (RCI)
- Permits, Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations
- Public Works
- Electrician Certification Unit
- Private Attorney General Act (PAGA)
Labor Commissioner's Office
Child Performer Services Permit
Who Needs a Permit?
Anyone who intends to represent or provide child performer services to any artist or performer who is under 18 years old in the state of California for a fee must have a child performer service permit. For further information, see the California Labor Code; CPS permit holders must renew their permits every two years.
Legislation aimed at protecting current and aspiring child actors and performers from sexual predators was approved September 2012. The law bars sex offenders from providing services to minors working or seeking to work in the entertainment industry. Assembly Bill 1660 does so by requiring a wide range of professionals working with artists or performers who are under 18 years of age to undergo a criminal background check and obtain a Child Performer Services (CPS) permit from the Department of Industrial Relationsí Labor Commissionerís Office (also known as the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement).
Apply for a Child Performer Services Permit
- Complete Request for Live Scan Services (fingerprints) and take it with you when you get fingerprinted.
- Get fingerprinted at a Live Scan location.
- Complete the permit application
- Download the Application for Permission to Employ Minors in the Entertainment Industry and print it.
Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Licensing and Registration
1515 Clay Street,
Oakland, CA 94612
Please allow 45 days to process the application. The Labor Commissionerís Office will notify you of your permit status.
Payment of Fees
The application fee is $200 in addition to the cost for fingerprints.
- Search for current CPS permit holders
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Laws and Regulations
- California Labor Code
- Child Labor Law pamphlet
- Summary tables of requirements and restrictions arranged by age and summary of penalties
- Information on Minors and Employment
- California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Contact us at CPSLicensing@dir.ca.gov if you have any questions.