- Standards Board public hearings
- Rulemaking proposals scheduled for hearing or adoption
- Recently approved standards
- The petition process
- The variance process
- Search for Cal/OSHA regulations
- Title 8 Index
- Upcoming advisory committees
- Recent Cal/OSHA advisory committees
- Learn about Cal/OSHA enforcement
Workplace Violence Prevention in Health Care
- GENERAL INDUSTRY SAFETY ORDERS,
New Section 3342
|Public hearing:||Dec. 17, 2015|
|Comment period:||Oct. 30, 2015 - Dec. 17, 2015|
|Filed with Secretary of State:|
Documents Relied Upon
- Ahmed E. Gomaa, MD, Loren C. Tapp, MD, Sara E. Luckhaupt, MD, et al. "Occupational Traumatic Injuries Among Workers in Health Care Facilities - United States, 2012–2014," MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2015;64:405-10, http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm6415.pdf
- California HealthCare Foundation, "California Nurses: Taking the Pulse," California Health Care Almanac, March 2014
- Cal/OSHA (1998), "Guidelines for Security and Safety of Health Care and Community Service Workers, http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/hcworker.html
- Cal/OSHA (1995), "Guidelines for Workplace Security," http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/worksecurity.html
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, "Preventing violence in the health care setting," Sentinel Event Alert Issue 45: June 3, 2010, http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/SEA_45.PDF
- Leigh, J. Paul, Markis, Carrie A., Iosif, Ana-Maria, Romano, Patrick S., "California's nurse-to-patient ratio law and occupational injury," Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2015 May;88(4):477-84.
- McPhaul, K., Lipscomb, J., (September 30, 2004). "Workplace Violence in Health Care: Recognized but not Regulated." Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. Vol. 9 No. 3, Manuscript 6,
- NIOSH, "Workplace Violence Prevention for Nurses, CDC Course No. WB1865 - NIOSH Pub. No. 2013-155," http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/violence/training_nurses.html
- OSHA, (2015), "Guidelines for Preventing Workplace Violence for Healthcare and Social Service Workers, OSHA 3148-04R 2015," https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3148.pdf
- OSHA, (2011), "OSHA Enforcement Procedures for Investigating or Inspecting Workplace Violence Incidents, CPL 02-01-052, September 8, 2011,"
- OSHA, "Workplace Violence OSHA Safety and Health Topics," https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/
- Peek-Asa, Corinne, et al. "Evaluation of Safety and Security Programs to Reduce Violence in Health Care Settings Final Report," January 2007, NIOSH Contract 200-2001-08014 and NIOSH R01-OH007934, http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohsep/Documents/wvpfinalreport.pdf
- Speroni, Karen Gabel, et al. "Incidence and Cost of Nurse Workplace Violence Perpetrated by Hospital Patients or Patient Visitors." Journal of Emergency Nursing 40.3 (2014): 218-228.
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board Petition No. 538, submitted by Richard Negri, Health and Safety Director, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Katherine Hughes, Liaison, SEIU Nurse Alliance of California (Feb. 10, 2014).
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board Petition No. 539, submitted by Bonnie Castillo, Director of Government Relations, California Nurses Association (Feb. 20, 2014).
- Division of Occupational Safety and Health’s evaluation of Petition No. 538, (Apr. 10, 2014).
- Division of Occupational Safety and Health’s evaluation of Petition No. 539, (Apr. 23, 2014).
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board revised petition decision regarding Petitions No. 538 and 539, (Jun. 19, 2014).
- September 10, 2014, November 13, 2014, November 19, 2014, February 5, 2015, and April 1, 2015, Advisory Committee minutes and attendance sheets.
- Smokler Lewis, P. et al. "The Impact of Workplace Incivility on the Work Environment, Manager Skill, and Productivity" The Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol. 41, No. 1, January 2011.
- California Department of Public Health, "All Facilities Letter, AFL 09-49, "Hospital Security Plans", November 19, 2009
- Federal Register, Vol. 66, No. 12, pp. 5321-5323, January 18, 2001, http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2001-01-18/pdf/01-1207.pdf
- Federal Register, Vol. 79, No. 181, pp. 56166-56168, September 18, 2014