Standardized paper billing
The DWC has adopted regulations for standardized paper billing forms and e-billing standards. The regulations streamline paper billing by standardizing billing forms and make it easier to communicate through the use of standardized bill review messages.
Provisions relating to standardized paper billing became effective Oct. 15, 2011.
Billing regulations and guides
Effective Jan. 1, 2013:
- Standardized medical billing regulations; Independent Bill Review Regulations version version
- California Division of Workers’ Compensation Medical Billing and Payment Guide
Note: The regulations and guides effective Jan. 1, 2013 were adopted as emergency regulations. A formal rulemaking action is currently underway to adopt the emergency regulations and to make additional amendments. You may learn how to participate in the rulemaking action and view the rulemaking documents on the Division’s rulemaking web page. The Division welcomes public comment and suggestions on how to make improvements to the billing regulations.
Effective Oct. 15, 2011:
- Standardized medical billing regulations - sections 9792.5.0 - 9792.5.3
- Medical Billing and Payment Guide 2011
- Excerpt of Medical Billing and Payment Guide - Table 1.0 California DWC Bill Adjustment Reason Code / CARC / RARC Matrix Crosswalk and Table 2.0 Matrix List in CARC Order versionversion
- Frequently asked questions about standardized paper billing