Report a Problem
- Frequently asked questions
- Legislative reports
- Labor Commissioner's Databases
Definition of a trainee
Labor code 108.4.
(a) After the deadline for certification, an uncertified person may perform electrical work for which certification is required under Section 108 in order to acquire the necessary on-the-job experience for certification, if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The person is registered with the Division of Apprenticeship Standards. A list of current registrants shall be maintained by the division and made available to the public upon request.
(2) The person either has completed or is enrolled in an approved curriculum of classroom instruction.
(3) The employer attests that the person shall be under the direct supervision of an electrician certified pursuant to Section 108 who is responsible for supervising no more than one uncertified person. An employer who is found by the division to have failed to provide adequate supervision may be barred by the division from employing uncertified individuals pursuant to this section in the future.
(b) For purposes of this section, an "approved curriculum of classroom instruction" means a curriculum of classroom instruction approved by the electrician certification curriculum committee established pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 108 and provided under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Education or the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges.
(c) For purposes of this section, a person is "enrolled" in an approved curriculum of classroom instruction if the person is attending classes on a full-time or part-time basis toward the completion of such a curriculum.
(d) Registration under this section shall be renewed annually and the registrant shall provide to the division certification of the class work completed and on-the-job experience acquired since the prior registration.
(e) The division shall establish registration fees necessary to implement this section, not to exceed twenty-five dollars ($25) for the initial registration. There shall be no fee for annual renewal of registration. Fees collected are continuously appropriated in an amount sufficient to administer this section and that amount may be expended by the division for this purpose.
(f) The division shall issue regulations to implement this section.
(g) For purposes of Section 1773, persons employed pursuant to this section do not constitute a separate craft, classification, or type of worker.
(h) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, an uncertified person who has completed an approved curriculum of classroom instruction and is currently registered with the division may take the certification examination. The person shall be certified upon passing the examination and satisfactorily completing the requisite number of on-the-job hours required for certification. A person who passes the examination prior to completing the requisite hours of on-the-job experience shall continue to comply with subdivision (d) of this section.