- Bureau of Field Enforcement
- Wage Claim Adjudication
- Retaliation (RCI)
- Permits, Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations
- Public Works
- Electrician Certification Unit
- Private Attorney General Act (PAGA)
Labor Commissioner's Office
Directions for completing application for electrician examination and certification
Esta página está disponible en Espaņol.
Application for electrician
examination and certification (pdf 150kb)
Please complete in red or blue ink.
1. Fill out your name on the application EXACTLY as it is listed on your driver's license. Make sure to include all the digits in your driver's license # and fill out your date of birth.
2. Fill out the mailing address correctly. Please keep in mind that this is where you will receive information from DLSE and also from the testing vendor (PSI Services).
3. Check the appropriate box for the type of certification exam desired.
4. Complete the proof of experience requirements. To complete, you must submit a copy of a state approved apprenticeship certificate. Please note: If you have a completion certificate to submit, you do not have to fill out the on-the-job experience requirement on page 2 of the application.
5. If you do not have a copy of your state approved apprenticeship certificate, please check (a) (2) on page 1 of the application and complete page 2. If you are filling out this section, make sure you have the required hours before submitting the application.
6. A copy of other state licenses can also suffice as proof of experience and allow you to sit for the examination.
7. You must send a check for the exact payment of the exam. Please make check payable to DIR-Electrician Certification Fund at the same time you send in your application. ($175 for one exam, $275 for two exams and $375 for 3 exams)
8. Please make sure to sign and date the application.
9. Please make sure your check is properly signed.
10. If DLSE does not accept your application due to lack of required information, we will send the application back.
11. Once you apply for the exam and are approved by the DLSE your application will be forwarded to our testing vendor (PSI Services). PSI Services will then send you a "Candidate Information Bulletin". Included in the bulletin will be important information regarding the exam. You will then call the 800 number listed in the bulletin to schedule your date, time and location of your exam. Please note: A test date is not automatically assigned to you.
12. If you fail the exam you must wait 60 days from the day you took the exam before sending in your application for re-test. You must also send in an exam fee of $100. Applications received before the 60-day requirement will be returned.
13. If you fail to show for a scheduled exam you must re-pay the application fee and the exam fee. ($175.00)
14. Lost/Stolen card replacement fee is $30.00 for each card and must be accompanied with a "request for replacement certification card" form.
15. Report of address change must be accompanied by the "report of address change" form.