This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov
. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at https://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 20. Flammable Liquids, Gases and Vapors
Article 141. Container and Portable Tank Storage
Return to index
§5538. Office, Educational and Institutional Occupancies.
(a) Storage shall be limited to that required for operation of office equipment, maintenance, demonstration, treatment, and laboratory work. All liquids in laboratories and at other points of use shall meet the following storage provisions:
(1) No container for Category 1, 2 or 3 flammable liquids shall exceed a capacity of one gallon except that safety cans can be of two gallons capacity.
(2) Not more than 10 gallons of Category 1, 2 or 3 flammable liquids combined shall be stored outside of a storage cabinet or storage room, except in safety cans.
(3) Not more than 25 gallons of Category 1, 2 or 3 flammable liquids combined shall be stored in safety cans outside of a storage room or storage cabinet.
(4) Not more than 60 gallons of combustible liquids shall be stored outside of a storage room or storage cabinet.
(5) Quantities of flammable and combustible liquids in excess of those set forth in this section shall be stored in an inside storage room or storage cabinet.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
2. Amendment of subsections (a)(1)-(3) and new Note filed 5-5-2014; operative 5-6-2014 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2014, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 141 Table of Contents