| Return to index
(a) In sprinklered buildings, the automatic sprinkler system in rooms containing spray application operations shall conform to Article 159, and in unsprinklered buildings where sprinklers are installed only to protect spraying areas, the installation shall conform to such standards insofar as they may be applicable. Sprinkler installations shall also conform to the provisions of this Section. Sprinkler heads shall be located so as to provide water distribution throughout the entire booth.
(b) Water supply for sprinklers in rooms containing spray finishing operations shall be sufficient to supply all sprinklers likely to open in one fire without depleting the available water for use in hose streams.
NOTE: Where sprinklers are installed to protect spraying areas only, water may be furnished from the domestic supply.
(c) Where automatic sprinklers protect each spray booth (together with its connecting exhaust) they shall be under an accessibly located separate outside stem and yoke (OS&Y) sub-control valve. Sprinkler systems in stacks or ducts shall be automatic and of a type not subject to freezing.
(d) Sprinklers (heads) protecting spraying areas shall be kept as free from deposits as practical by cleaning daily if necessary.
(e) Where automatic sprinkler protection is not available, a spray booth and its exhaust ducts shall be protected with an extinguishing system installed so as to conform either to Article 160, Article 161 or Article 162.
(f) An adequate supply of suitable portable fire extinguishers shall be installed near all spraying areas. (See Article 157.)
NOTE: Authority and reference cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 3-2-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 10).
2. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
3. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 9-8-81; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 81, No. 37).
4. Editorial correction of subsection (a) filed 6-30-82 (Register 82, No. 27).
5. Amendment filed 12-5-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 51).