| Return to index
Information for Persons Handling Fresh Produce and Other Materials Treated with Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
The cartons you will be handling contain fruit that has been fumigated with Ethylene Dibromide (EDB). Fumigation with EDB is done only when it is required by law to prevent the spread of fruit flies that lay eggs on citrus fruit, mangos, and papayas. High concentrations of EDB cause cancer and reproductive problems in animals. Even though these effects have not been seen in humans, special precautions, required by law, have been undertaken to make sure you are exposed to only very low levels of this chemical.
The shipper of this fumigated fruit has applied to the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) with his plan to pack and ship fruit assuring that when it is unloaded, only trace amounts of EDB will remain in the trailer or shipping container. Cal/OSHA regulations require that truck trailer vents be opened the last two hours on the road and the trailer doors be opened upon arrival.
Fruit shipments handled according to Cal/OSHA's requirements are safe to unload and will have a notice on each carton to confirm this. If you want more information you should consult your employer or call Cal/OSHA (Toll Free) at 1-800-652-1476.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 142.3, 9020, 9030 and 9040, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 142.3, 9004(d), 9009, 9020, 9030 and 9040, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 8-4-81 as an emergency; effective upon filing (Register 81, No. 33).
2. Order of Repeal of 8-4-81 emergency order filed 8-13-81 by OAL pursuant to Government Code section 11349.6 (Register 81, No. 33).
3. New section filed 9-23-81 as an emergency; effective upon filing (Register 81, No. 41). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL within 120 days or emergency language will be repealed on 1-21-82.
4. Certificate of Compliance including amendment transmitted to OAL 1-21-82 and filed 2-19-82; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 82, No. 8).
5. Editorial correction of subsection (i)(2)(B) (Register 82, No. 14).
6. Amendment filed 6-6-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 23).
7. Change without regulatory effect of NOTE filed 2-14-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 7).
8. Change without regulatory effect amending definition of Chief in subsection (b) filed 3-4-92 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 92, No. 19).
9. Amendment of subsection (d), repealer of subsections (d)(1)-(3) and amendment of Note filed 7-6-99; operative 8-5-99 (Register 99, No. 28).