| Return to index
(a) All cranes and derricks used in lifting service, exceeding three tons rated capacity, and their accessory gear shall not be used until the employer has ascertained that such equipment has been certificated as evidenced by current and valid documents attesting to compliance with the following:
(1) Tests and examinations shall be conducted annually by a currently licensed certificating agency or designee listed in the certificating agency license, and a certificate shall be issued by the certificating agency;
(2) Certificates (annual and quadrennial) attesting to current compliance with testing and examination standards of requirements shall be maintained for each crane or derrick and shall be in a form acceptable to the Division. (See Section 4885, Plate V.)
NOTE: The term "lifting service" as used in this Section is not intended to include operations of the following equipment:
NOTE: (1) Clamshells, draglines and other similar equipment used for casting-type work;
NOTE: (2) Pile drivers, other than those using gravity (drop) hammers.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 2-13-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 7).
2. Repealer and new subsection (c) filed 1-2-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 1).
3. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 10-4-78 as procedural and organizational; effective upon filing (Register 78, No. 40).
4. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 7-6-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 27).
5. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).
6. Amendment filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
7. Amendment of subsections (a)-(a)(1) filed 12-6-95; operative 1-5-96 (Register 95, No. 49).
Go Back to Article 99 Table of Contents