Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 6. Power Transmission Equipment, Prime Movers, Machines and Machine Parts
Article 41. Prime Movers and Machinery
(a) Screw conveyors 7 feet or less above floor or other working level shall be completely covered with substantial lids except that screw conveyors the top of which are 2 feet or less above the floor or other working level, or below the floor level may be guarded by standard railing guards having toeboards of midrail height or shall be guarded by substantial covers or gratings.
(b) Belt conveyor head pulleys, tail pulleys, single tension pulleys, dip take-up pulleys, chain conveyor head drums or sprockets and dip take-up drums and sprockets shall be guarded. The guard shall be such that a person cannot reach behind it and become caught in the nip point between the belt, chain, drum, pulley or sprocket.
NOTE: Conveyor belt support rollers need not be guarded unless they create a potential hazard as described in Section 4002.
(c) Crossovers as defined in Section 3207 of these Orders shall be provided where necessary, which will allow employees to pass over or cross a conveyor. Unless a 6-foot 6-inch headroom clearance is provided, employees shall not be permitted to pass under conveyors.
(d) Conveyors passing over areas that are occupied or used by employees shall be so guarded as to prevent the material transported from falling and causing injury to employees.
(e) Where employees pass under the return strands of chain conveyors a shallow trough or other effective means of sufficient strength to carry the weight of the broken chain shall be provided.
(f) Employees shall not be permitted to ride or walk on a moving power driven chain, belt or bucket.
(g) Conveyors using electrically released brakes shall be constructed so that the brakes cannot be released until power is applied and that the brakes are automatically engaged if the power fails or the operating control is returned to the “stop” position.
(h) Powered conveyors shall not be started until all exposed employees are clear of the conveyor or have been warned that the conveyor is about to start.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 4-16-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 16).
2. New subsections (i) and (j) filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).
3. Amendment filed 10-9-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 44).
4. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 2-17-2000; operative 3-18-2000 (Register 2000, No. 7).
5. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (b) filed 5-24-2005 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2005, No. 21).
6. Amendment of Note to subsection (b) filed 3-5-2019; operative 7-1-2019 (Register 2019, No. 10).