Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 3. General Plant Equipment and Special Operations
Article 12. Tree Work, Maintenance or Removal
(1) Power saws shall be operated and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
(2) A power saw shall be started on the ground or where it is otherwise firmly held or supported to prevent unintended movement of the saw. Chain saws shall not be drop started. Power saws shall not be started from an elevated position unless the area below is clear of personnel.
(3) Power saws weighing more than fifteen pounds (service weight) that are used in trees shall be supported by a separate line or tool lanyard, except when working from an aerial-lift device or during topping or removing operations where no supporting limb is available.
(4) All power saws shall be equipped with a constant pressure control that will return the saw to idling speed when released.
(5) A power saw engine shall not be started and operated unless all employees other than the operator are clear of the saw.
(6) A power saw shall not be running when the saw is being carried up into a tree by an employee.
(7) Power saws shall be equipped with a clutch and be so adjusted that the chain drive will not engage at idling speed.
(8) Power saw engines shall be stopped when carried for a distance greater than 100 feet, or in hazardous conditions such as slippery surfaces or heavy underbrush. Chain brakes shall be engaged or the saw engine stopped when the saw is carried a distance greater than 10 feet.
(9) The saw shall be stopped for all cleaning, refueling, adjustments, and repairs to the saw or engine where practicable, except where manufacturers' instructions require otherwise.
(10) Tree workers shall use a second point of attachment such as a work-positioning lanyard or double-crotched rope when operating a chain saw in a tree, unless the employer demonstrates that a greater hazard is posed by using a second point of attachment while operating chain saws in that particular situation.
(11) While a powered pole saw or brush saw is running, no one shall be permitted within 10 feet of the cutting head, except the operator.
(12) Powered saws shall be equipped with a quick shutoff switch readily accessible to the operator.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 8-8-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 32).
2. Amendment filed 9-25-2012; operative 10-25-2012 (Register 2012, No. 39).
3. Repealer and new subsection (a)(2), new subsections (a)(4)-(6), subsection renumbering and amendment of newly designated subsection (a)(7) filed 2-27-2018; operative 4-1-2018 (Register 2018, No. 9).
4. Amendment of subsection (a)(2), new subsection (a)(3), repealer of subsection (a)(6) and subsection renumbering filed 7-30-2020; operative 10-1-2020 (Register 2020, No. 31).