Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 2. Safe Practices and Personal Protection
Article 11. Outdoor Advertising Structures
(a) On all outdoor advertising structure platforms, over 7-1/2 feet above ground or other surface, which are not provided with standard guardrails, employees shall be provided with and required to use approved personal fall protection, and where employees' work requires horizontal movement at such heights, a horizontal safety line shall be provided. When the employee's harness lanyard is secured to the special purpose poster ladder, a horizontal safety line need not be provided.
(b) The horizontal safety line shall be designed under the supervision of a professional engineer currently registered in the State of California and installed as part of a complete personal fall protection system, with a safety factor of at least two.
(c) Outdoor advertising structures, where employees post billboards while working from special purpose poster ladders, shall be provided with one of the following:
(1) A horizontal safety line so located on the billboard that employees can attach their fall arrest harness' lanyard when working from the upper half of the ladder, or
(2) A 1/4-inch improved plow steel cable 19 inches in length with 4-inch swaged loops on each end. The steel cable shall be looped through the special purpose hooked ladder with the lanyard's snaphook attached to both loops of the cable. Other locking connectors of equivalent strength, such as caribiners, may be used in lieu of the 1/4-inch improved plow steel cable, or
(3) A special purpose poster ladder equipped with anchor point(s).
(d) Lanyards shall include a shock absorber and shall not exceed 6 feet in total length.
EXCEPTION: Self-retracting lifelines used in accordance with this Article.
(e) Self-retracting lifelines may be used in conjunction with special purpose Type 1 industrial heavy-duty, Type 1A industrial extra heavy-duty ladders, Type 1AA special duty ladders or where attached to an approved anchorage.
(f) Personal fall protection system anchorage shall meet the strength requirements specified in Article 24 of the Construction Safety Orders.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 1-7-93; operative 1-7-93 pursuant to Government Code section 11346.2(d) (Register 93, No. 2).
2. Amendment filed 10-1-2008; operative 10-31-2008 (Register 2008, No. 40).
3. Editorial correction of subsection (c)(2) (Register 2012, No. 7).
This database is current through 12/6/19 Register 2019, No. 49