Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 2. Safe Practices and Personal Protection
Article 11. Outdoor Advertising Structures
(a) Scope. This Article applies to all elevated outdoor advertising structures, billboards, signboards or other such structures where employees are required to work from platforms elevated more than 7-1/2 feet above the ground or other surface, suspended scaffolds, or work from ladders that are not ground supported. Employees working on outdoor advertising structures are subject to all applicable safety orders except where they are inconsistent with the requirements of this Article.
Note: For the construction of billboards and other related structures see the Construction Safety Orders.
Poster Ladder Scaffold. A scaffold platform supported by brackets attached to the rungs of a special purpose poster ladder.
Special Purpose Poster Ladder. A Type 1 industrial heavy-duty ladder, Type 1A industrial extra heavy-duty or Type 1AA special duty ladder with a hook(s) at the top of the ladder specifically designed to hook over the top edge of billboards. A “Type 1 industrial heavy-duty ladder” has a working load capacity of 250 pounds, a “Type 1A industrial extra heavy-duty ladder” has a working load capacity of 300 pounds, and a “Type 1AA special duty ladder” has a working load capacity of 375 pounds.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New article 11 (section 3412) filed 11-12-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 46).
2. Repealer of subsection (h)(4) filed 2-20-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 8).
3. Repealer of article ii (section 3412) filed 6-2-87; operative 7-2-87 (Register 87, No. 24).
4. Amendment of article and section headings and new section filed 1-7-93; operative 1-7-93 pursuant to Government Code section 11346.2(d) (Register 93, No. 2).
5. Amendment filed 10-1-2008; operative 10-31-2008 (Register 2008, No. 40).