This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at https://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Chapter 3.2. California Occupational Safety and Health Regulations (CAL/OSHA)
Subchapter 1. Regulations of the Director of Industrial Relations
Article 1. Definitions Under California Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1973
In this chapter unless otherwise specifically indicated:
(a) “Chief” means the Chief of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
(b) “Working days” means Mondays through Fridays but shall not include Saturday, Sunday or State Holidays. In computing working days, the day of receipt of any notice shall not be included, and the last day of the working days shall be included.
(c) “Inspection” means any inspection of an employer's factory, plant, establishment, construction site, or other area, workplace or environment where work is performed by an employee of an employer and includes any inspection conducted pursuant to a complaint, any reinspection, or follow-up inspection.
(d) “Code” means the California Labor Code.
(e) “Order” included within the term “order” are the General Orders adopted by the Industrial Safety Board or the Industrial Accident Commission, Rules and Regulations promulgated by the Director of the Department of Industrial Relations and the Division of Occupational Safety and Health, decisions, requirements and orders made by the Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
(f) “Carcinogen” includes the following recognized cancer causing substances for which standards have been adopted:
(1) Any of the following substances and any compound, mixture, or product containing such substances:
(C) Benzidine (and its salts).
(D) Bis (chloromethyl) ether.
(E) 3,3'-dichlorobenzidine (and its salts).
(K) Methyl chloromethyl ether.
(M) 4,4'-Methylenebis (2-Chloroaniline.)
(2) Asbestos, including chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, tremolite, anthophyllite, and actinolite.
(3) Vinyl chloride.
(4) 1,2- dibromo -3 chloropropane (DBCP).
(5) Coke oven emissions
(7) Inorganic Arsenic.
(8) Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
(9) Ethylene Oxide
(10) Any other substance for which standards are adopted and in effect due to cancer causing properties and any compound, mixture, or product containing such a substance, except as specifically exempted from such standards.
(g) “Order To Take Special Action” means any order written by the Chief or his or her authorized representative which requires the employer to comply with applicable provisions of Division 5 of the California Labor Code, or with specific standards, orders or regulations of the Standards Board whose enforcement upon the employer are at the discretion of the Division
(h) “Serious injury or illness” means any injury or illness occurring in a place of employment or in connection with any employment that requires inpatient hospitalization for other than medical observation or diagnostic testing, or in which an employee suffers an amputation, the loss of an eye, or any serious degree of permanent disfigurement, but does not include any injury or illness or death caused by an accident on a public street or highway, unless the accident occurred in a construction zone.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 50.7, 54, 55, 60.5, 6317, 6318 and 6319, Labor Code; and Bendix Forest Products Corporation v. Division of Occupational Safety and Health (1979) 25 Cal. 3d 465 [158 Cal. Rptr. 882]. Reference: Sections 6301, 6302(h), 6308, 6317, 6317.5, 6317.7, 6318, 6319 and 9004, Labor Code.
1. New Chapter 1, Group 1 (Sections 1-15) filed 1-4-74 as an emergency; effective upon filing (Register 74, No. 2).
2. Certificate of Compliance filed 5-3-74 (Register 74, No. 18).
3. Renumbering of Chapter 1, Group 1 (Sections 1-15) to Chapter 3.2, Group 1 (Sections 330, 331, 331.1-331.5, 332, 332.1, 332.2, 333-336 and 336.1) filed 7-31-74 as organizational and procedural; designated effective 8-1-74 (Register 74, No. 31).
4. Amendment of subsections (c), (d) and (r) and new subsection (s) filed 2-28-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 9).