| Return to index
(a) Whenever an oxygen deficient atmosphere or harmful dusts, fumes, mists, vapors, or gases exist or are produced in the course of employment in quantities giving rise to harmful exposure of employees, such hazards shall be controlled by removing the employees from exposure to the hazard, by limiting the daily exposure of employees to the hazard, or by application of engineering controls. Whenever such controls are not practicable or fail to achieve full compliance, respiratory protective equipment shall be provided as prescribed in Section 1531.
(b) Employees exposed to hazardous substances shall be protected as required by Group 16 of the General Industry Safety Orders.
(c) When ventilation is used as an engineering control method, the system shall be installed and operated according to the requirements of this Article.
(d) The spraying of any substance containing any amount of asbestos in or upon a building or other structure during its construction, alteration or repair is prohibited.
1. Exterior and interior coatings and laminating resins containing encapsulated asbestos fibers bound within the finished product from manufacture through application.
2. Cold process asphalt roof coatings.
3. Substances containing less than one-quarter of 1 percent asbestos solely as a result of naturally occurring impurities in the substance or its components.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 25910, Health and Safety Code; and Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Renumbering from Section 1530 and amendment filed 6-18-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 25).
2. New subsection (c) filed 11-1-77 as an emergency; effective upon filing (Register 77, No. 45).
3. Certificate of Compliance filed 1-17-78 (Register 78, No. 3).
4. Repealer and new subsection (c) filed 5-2-79 as an emergency; effective upon filing. Certificate of Compliance included (Register 79, No. 17).
5. Amendment of subsections (a) and (b) filed 9-6-79 as an emergency; effective upon filing (Register 79, No. 36). A Certificate of Compliance must be filed within 120 days or emergency language will be repealed on 1-4-80.
6. Reinstatement of subsections (a) and (b) as existed prior to emergency amendment filed 9-6-79 by operation of Section 11422.1, Government Code (Register 80, No. 3).
7. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 1-17-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 3).
8. Amendment filed 12-13-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).